March 02, 2018

Grey's Anatomy: You Really Got a Hold on Me (14x13)

I'm going to dive right in. Apologies for being a bit brief.

Cons:

April is clearly spiraling out of control, and it annoys me how superior Arizona was to Jackson when he expressed concern about it. She acted like she should know better than Jackson. I didn't like the implication that April was reserved or hiding some part of herself when she was with Jackson. After all, the two of them were friends before they ever got together.

For all that this episode was meant to introduce us to our new lead in the spin-off, I don't feel like we actually spent enough time with her. I've already decided I won't be watching the spin-off, because I have too many shows going on right now. But still - I think I needed a bit more from her. She was fine, but kind of generic.

The patients were these two brothers who got hurt in an explosion after a science experiment gone wrong. The older brother was really worried about his younger brother, but we never really got to see any resolution with them. I would have liked to have had a quick scene to check in on them after all of their trauma. It made me feel a bit disconnected from their characters when we didn't get to see them one last time.

Pros:

Dr. Qadri had a lovely little story with Dr. Hunt. I like seeing some of the new interns get their moments to shine, and this little thread was my favorite example of that in a while. She tears her hijab off of her head to use as a tourniquet, and Owen makes sure to get it washed and give it back to her, which I thought was a very nice touch.

Alex and Amelia enlist the name of Dr. Douchebag or whatever his name is (the guy who did Amelia's surgery) in order to find a way to save the little girl with Broadway aspirations. Since Alex and Amelia didn't get funding from the contest, they need to work around the system to make it happen. By the end of the episode, it looks like they have had a breakthrough, but the doctor believes there's no real way to save the poor patient's life. Maybe others will be saved in the future, but not her. I love this kid, and I loved the scene of her and the doctor arguing passionately about musicals. I hope they do find a way to save her, but it looks like they're setting us up for heartbreak here.

Ben is the one who brings in the two brothers as patients, and he spends the episode wandering around the hospital, interfering. He tells Bailey that while he fought so hard for his new career, he forgot to seriously feel what he was giving up on. I'm happy for this actor that he gets his own spin-off, but it's a bummer that Ben won't be around anymore. This was sort of a goodbye for him as he spins off into another show. I was glad to see him struggle a bit with his decision, even if ultimately it's the right one.

Despite being a bit annoyed with Arizona, I do find the downward spiral of April Kepner to be fascinating, and as one of the few people who sincerely hope that April and Jackson can find their way back to each other, I like the fact that Jackson picked upon the fact that something was wrong.

Finally, Richard and Maggie being worried about Bailey going back to work is super precious, and I loved the scene when Owen found out and was just totally flabbergasted. It takes him way too long to realize that Bailey's "vacation" was her taking time off to recuperate. I loved Owen's innocent and confused reaction.

See? I said I'd be brief! I didn't even bother to look up Dr. Douchbag's name! I think I can just call him "Hades from Once Upon a Time." That's sufficient, right?

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!