March 10, 2018

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Real Deal (5x12)

Be right back, crying forever now...

Cons:

I'm cool with Deke being Fitzsimmons' grandson. I'm less cool with the fact that this episode framed it as if we were supposed to be even the tiniest bit surprised by this "huge and shocking" twist as the episode came to an end. Pulease. Also, Deke is kind of generic and although his complete incompetence is somewhat amusing, I'm not really sure why he's here. Comic relief seems like an odd function for his character.

So there's this rift and it shows people their fears, manifested to reality. I know this is going to sound strange, given what has happened on this show, but this went just a tad too far for me in some ways. Especially given that Coulson's fear is the idea that all of this is fake, that he's actually just on an operating table after being mortally wounded by Loki. Seems a little abstract, and a weird thing to introduce at this point in the season.

Pros:

Okay but whatever. This episode was incredible. So emotional, so good. To start with the most depressing parts, you've got Elena trying to put on a brave face and do what she can for Mack, who is just out-of-control devastated about what has happened. He's talking about walking away from S.H.I.E.L.D. for good, and Elena has to talk him off of that ledge. I'm still honestly in shock after the whole "Yo-Yo loses her arms" thing, and this episode dealt with the aftermath in a really interesting way. Of course, I hope we'll get to see even more of that in the future.

I don't know what I was expecting to happen when everybody found out that Coulson was dying, but what I got was a super emotional scene, very well done, that actually made me tear up a little bit. You've got Simmons just crying while trying to keep a professional tone, you've got May holding on to her anger to avoid accepting the situation, and you've got Daisy, completely shocked and hurt that Coulson would hide this from them. The scene where she says that Coulson was what she believed in, and that there's nothing without him? Like... damn, that really got to me.

There's a recurring message in this episode about hope for the future, and the importance of traditions and symbols. Coulson knows he's dying, and he's trying to help Daisy grow into her own so she's ready to take over. He knows that S.H.I.E.L.D. is an idea - it's something that has to live on past him. We see this idea of symbols being important in so many different moments, enough that when the moment comes and Deke shows up with Deathlok and a bunch of other stragglers from S.H.I.E.L.D., it feels like this incredible and moving moment of triumph for everybody involved.

And, speaking of? Deathlok coming to the rescue was absolutely ICONIC. I cannot even tell you how happy I was to see him. We get glimpses throughout the episode to show us that Coulson and the others are still being hunted down, and all of the talk seems to indicate that there's nobody left besides Coulson and his team. So to have this moment where the reinforcements actually do show up was so unexpected and added such a feeling of hope to the episode, after the devastating reality of Coulson's shortened lifespan and Yo-Yo's crippling injuries.

And speaking of hope... Fitzsimmons got married, you guys. Like... started from the bottom and now we're here. I cannot believe this is a thing that happened. And you know what my favorite part is? Well... I can't pick. All of it is my favorite. How about the fact that Coulson officiates, and it's so perfect, and just slightly awkward? How about the look of pure joy and support on Daisy's face, Mack's quiet joy even in the face of his own hardships, Deathlok and Deke's awkward commentary from the sidelines... and then there are the vows. Fitz is usually the one who makes big, eloquent speeches when it comes to his relationship with Simmons. And he's really good at those big speeches. Which is why it's so smart that in this case, he's flustered, and at a loss for words. All he says is that he thinks Simmons is perfect, and he knows he doesn't deserve her, and he's so lucky to have her. These are all kind of cliches, and they certainly don't match up with some of the speeches Fitz has supplied in the past. But the utter sincerity of his words are impossible to ignore, and it makes it just so beautiful. Simmons, meanwhile, does say a beautiful pre-planned speech, and it rings with just as much sincerity and love.

This was an incredibly emotional episode. All of the devastation, all of the hope... I find myself really excited by the fact that I honestly have no idea what's coming next.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!