March 30, 2018

Grey's Anatomy: One Day Like This (14x17)

I... hm. Sigh.

Cons:

Teddy and Owen made me so mad. Like I get that this show is a soap opera, essentially, but their scenes were just way too overwrought and ridiculous. I love the idea of bringing Teddy back in to the show, but Owen literally gets on a plane to Germany, the two of them have this amazing romantic night together, and then she finds out that he was sleeping with Amelia very recently, and suddenly there's just no chance for them. I just... eh. I don't care. I want Owen to be happy, and the dude has had some rotten luck with Cristina and Amelia and all of that, but at this point the way he's behaving just seems childish. There's also the fact that their scenes existed in this weird little bubble separate from everybody else, and it felt disconnected from the rest of the episode.

I like April a lot, and I was pretty choked up over her sad situation with her Rabbi patient. But at the same time, I always get a little annoyed when patients show up and spend their time helping the doctors through their own life problems. I get that it's a drama and some of this kind of thing is inevitable, but it feels like the lesson here is that a very nice man had to come along and die tragically so that April could gain some perspective. I don't like the idea of random one-off patients being nothing more than receptacles for the angst of our leads. It doesn't sit right with me.

Pros:

However, like I said, the stuff with April did get me pretty misty-eyed, especially there at the end when he thinks April is his wife, and he's in so much pain... like, ouch. Also, I appreciated that the focus stayed on April, but we also got a hint of Bailey's pain. It was a nice moment to see the two of them light a candle in Eli's memory as the episode ends. This plot thread was mostly about the randomness of the universe, so it was nice to see people making a conscious choice to come together, even in their grief.

I really liked Meredith's patient. A lot. His name is Nick, he's cute, he's charming, and he feels... real. I felt an immediate sense of him as an actual person with a history and a personality and all of that. I wanted to know more about him. He was so worried about losing his kidney, and it was extremely endearing. I felt an instant spark of connection between them. I want to know this guy - I want to meet his niece, and his troubled sister, and his best friend who donated an organ for him. I want to see him in Minnesota, doing his job. Hopefully he sticks around... I can't imagine they'd do all that setup for no payoff!

It's always cute to see Alex and Meredith being best friends. Alex was barely in this episode, but he and Meredith grab a drink in the bar at the end of the episode, and she confides in him about Nick. I don't have much to say on the subject, it just always warms my heart.

This is shorter than most Grey's Anatomy reviews that I write... but that's just how it happened this time. I enjoyed Meredith's stuff a lot, but Owen and Teddy drove me crazy, so I can't give this one super high marks.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!