February 12, 2020

Schitt's Creek: The Wingman (6x06)

This episode was a lot of fun, and very silly. There was also a more emotionally resonant aspect with Alexis's story-line, which I greatly enjoyed!

Cons:

I guess I thought Patrick and David's story-line was going to... go somewhere? Not necessarily like I thought they'd actually have a threesome, but I was thinking maybe the experience would prompt them to have a conversation about their relationship and their future. But no, it just sort of... ended with them awkwardly leaving and there was no payoff there.

I liked Johnny teaming up with Roland and Ronnie to try and cheer Bob up, but I can't help but notice that Johnny is the least involved in the rest of the family's story-lines. He's often off in his own little universe, and I'd like to see him interact more with his wife and kids in the near future!

Pros:

But like I said, Johnny's plot thread was a lot of fun. Bob is not doing well after Gwen left him, so he relies on his friends Johnny, Roland, and Ronnie to get him out of his slump. Predictably it doesn't go well, but Ronnie does end up finding a hot date! I just love any story that shows how much Johnny has truly grown into a part of this community. Not only is he in partnership with Roland, not only does he care about the town in a general sense... he's also willing to go the extra mile to cheer up Bob, which I think is really sweet!

Also the comedy here was on point. Roland is comically bad at role-playing a potential meeting with a girl, unable to come up with any name other than "Gwen" for his fake female persona. Bob runs in to his marriage counselor at the bar and learns that even she is dumping him, choosing Gwen to continue with, as seeing them both now would be a conflict of interest. Bob doesn't fit totally into the "sad sack" character mold, but he has aspects of that, and it's executed very well here!

Alexis and Moira have been able to turn the disaster at the Crows movie premiere into something of a success, as the movie is trending and getting all sorts of attention! The inherent comedy of every detail of the movie we get to learn about is really fun. I loved the way Alexis coached Moira during her interview, and how Alexis herself ended up on camera but without a mic! That was great.

Then there's the more serious aspect, which is that all of these events have been a big boon for Alexis's career, and she's not sure she can abandon all of that to go and join Ted on his trip. The two talk about it over Skype, and Ted actually says he thinks Alexis should stay home, too - he knows how much she'll hate it there, and he will be so often busy with work, anyway. I really root for these two, but I like the way they are each prioritizing their career at this stage in their lives, and how that's not seen as a heartless or insensitive thing to do. Hopefully they survive the long distance, but maybe they won't. And that's just the way it goes sometimes!

I liked that Moira wasn't too overly jealous that Alexis was being showered with praise. She actually supported her daughter and was proud of her success, and also talked her through her dilemma with regards to her planned trip to join Ted.

Then we've got David and Patrick. I mentioned I wanted something a bit more grounded out of this plot thread, but even by itself it was definitely a lot of fun and definitely made me giggle. Everything from the coffee table, to the kiss on the mouth, to Patrick's shirt, and their faces when they realized there was a whole party, and seeing Stevie... it all escalated to such a hilarious degree. Patrick was so flustered at being so blatantly hit on, and I loved that there was no hint of jealousy here with regards to David's ex.

I think I'll stop there! This episode didn't have much in the way of substantial character development for most of the core cast, but it was still a lot of fun, and we still got the lovely moments of growth for Alexis!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!