February 26, 2020

Schitt's Creek: The Presidential Suite (6x08)

Aww, that made my heart hurt a little bit!

Cons:

Moira is always hilarious, but I'll say that my least favorite story of the evening goes to Moira and Johnny, all the same. Basically it's some drama about upgrading their room at the motel. Roland and Jocelyn are also looking to get away from the chaos at home, since they are renting out an extra room and have a new baby as well. It was all... fine, but not the kind of thing I think I'll be remembering long-term.

The same can be said for Patrick and David's plot thread, although of course I could never get sick of watching the two of them. It's just... a person getting a spray-tan that goes wrong is kind of a played-out sitcom trope. I feel like I've seen it on several different comedies and it never offers more than just a single paltry visual gag. They didn't take it too far, since this show is quite restrained in most respects, but the whole concept had me shrugging my shoulders more than anything else.

Pros:

But even when a plot thread on Schitt's Creek is somewhat mediocre, there are always moments of brilliance.

For example, Moira's dramatics about the cold water in the sink and the narrow doorways in the hotel was so over-the-top and silly, and you just know that she and Johnny have this unspoken language about how to process differences in opinion. Moira is telling Johnny that this is important to her, and Johnny listens.

I also thought it was sweet that they ultimately gave the room up to Roland and Jocelyn. The four of them might not admit it openly very often, but they are friends, and now they're all in business together. Of course they'll make sacrifices for each other. Very sweet.

David and Patrick are having their picture taken by Ray for their wedding, so they can send pictures to distant relatives, etc. David sends Patrick away to get "pampered," which ends up being code for getting a spray tan so he doesn't look so washed out in the pictures. I loved grumpy Patrick, even if the whole tanning story seemed a little predictable. And they did look very cute all wrapped up in each other at the end, while Stevie took pictures.

Ray is actually super hilarious. I loved all of his silly backgrounds for the pictures, and the mouse pads... he's ridiculous, and clashes so much with David's elegant and extravagant sensibilities. It's another sign that David has actually changed a lot, though, because he's okay with a more low-key wedding in Schitt's Creek, instead of freaking out about everything going perfectly.

The bulk of the episode this week focused on Alexis and Ted, and oh boy did it make me emotional. I've got to confess, first off, that I've always been pretty neutral on Alexis and Ted. I liked them just fine, but didn't have "feels" about them, so to speak. But I do have all the feels about Alexis' personal growth, and this episode was a stand-up example of how far she's come. It's so obvious how much she and Ted care for each other, but in this moment they both realize that what's best for them as individuals isn't sustainable for them as a couple. And so they make the mature, heartbreaking decision to part ways.

Alexis' goodbye dinner to Ted was... a lot. I was incredibly moved by the thought and care she put into it, and by the way they both gracefully accepted the end of something beautiful. This truly was a mutual breakup, both of them so proud of the other for their career successes, both sad but also calm about the natural end of something good.

I also really appreciated that Alexis went to Twyla for advice and comfort as she contemplated the end of her relationship. Their friendship is something special, and I'd love to get some more time between the two of them before the show ends!

So there you are. I continue to be delighted with Patrick and David being a happy couple, well on their way to wedded bliss. And I'm proud of Alexis for doing the right thing, even though it's painful!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!