February 21, 2020

Grey's Anatomy: A Diagnosis (16x14)

A bear attack? Really? Sometimes Grey's Anatomy likes to vehemently remind me that I'm watching a medical soap opera... I suppose I shouldn't complain!

Cons:

I have a lot of issues with this episode, truthfully, even though I didn't dislike watching it. I suppose I should just get right to it.

So Amelia, potentially spurred on by hormones more than anything else, decides to dump Link because she wants him to want to be with her, no matter who the father of the baby is. But poor Link has just been ghosted, and he's scared for her, and she's being entirely unfair. Also, did I mention I hate this whole entire plot thread so much? That scene where Owen is giving Link parenting advice in the elevator was just the worst kind of annoying. Owen should go away.

I don't dislike the idea of DeLuca potentially contending with possibly having his father's mania, but logistically I thought it was strange that Bailey and Meredith would go back on Dr. Riley's plan like that. Yes, DeLuca was acting erratically, but it was a plan that made sense from a diagnostic standpoint, so it felt silly of Meredith to just decide right away to put Suzanne back on meds. Maybe this is a nitpick, but whatever.

When the injured woman whose husband had just jumped in front of a bear for her suddenly had a lover, I really, really hoped this was a polyamory situation, and not an infidelity situation. I was bummed out when that wasn't the case.

Alex is still absent, and Jo is worried that he's cheating on her, and he's also not answering Meredith's texts... I'm just kind of sick of this. I know actor availability is the factor here, but I'd like some actual concrete answers about his whereabouts so we can start to move on.

I'm also getting a little bit sick of all the Station 19 and Grey's Anatomy crossover events. Apparently the whole bear attack thing happened on the other show? I'm not going to watch, stop trying to make me!!

Pros:

Despite my annoyance with Amelia's behavior, I did think the bond between her and Maggie was quite heartwarming. Maggie understands that her needs and Amelia's are different in a crisis, and she steps it up and is there for her sister. It's also nice to have that narrative about family being chosen instead of ordained by blood. Obviously Maggie understands that quite well, being adopted. I like Amelia and Link and I hate that they're going through all this drama, but I do like the idea of Amelia drawing strength from her sisters.

Similarly, it's always nice to see hints of Jo and Link's friendship. They are both going through some serious issues in the relationship department, and those stories aren't my favorites on the show right now... but it's nice to see them turning to each other!

I had just been lamenting that we hadn't seen Carina in a while, so it was nice to have that one scene with her, where she talks to Meredith about her worries about Andrew. It makes so much sense that she would be worried about this, and it's one of those things that you wouldn't think about until someone else points it out to you. This is a dramatic show where people go through intense things. It's not out of the ordinary for characters to have emotional breakdowns. But with DeLuca's family history, there could be more going on there.

I'm also so relieved that Suzanne has a diagnosis! I didn't think, after so long trying to save her, that she would die... but you never know with this show. They do some pretty devastating things sometimes! Even though DeLuca clearly needs some help, he and Dr. Riley managed to find the correct diagnosis and save a life.

Jackson apologizing to Maggie for leaving her alone in the woods was one of those scenes that I didn't know I needed. I don't think they're going to get back together (at least I freakin' hope not), but it is nice to remember that I actually like these characters, and they don't always have to be irrational babies around one another.

In minor subplot news, Bailey asks Richard to teach a new batch of interns, but he is discouraged and despondent about it. Not much to report here yet, but I'm along for the ride. I'd love more Richard story-lines that have nothing to do with Catherine, thanks.

Checking in with my faves, we see that Nico still isn't ready to let Levi move in with him, so Levi is apartment hunting. Also, Nico's parents are in town, and Levi wants to meet them. Nico pushes back, and eventually confesses that he's not out to his parents. Levi is shocked by this, remembering how Nico had been disdainful of him for being a "baby gay" when they first started seeing each other.

Now this is... interesting. Nico has seemed sort of closed off from escalating their relationship, and I guess we now see one of the big reasons why. Levi is coming more and more into his own in terms of his identity, and the fact that Nico, one of the reasons he was able to find the strength to do so, is still in the closet around his family, is a big deal. Obviously it's a personal choice, but there's no way something like this isn't an obstacle in their relationship moving forward. I am intrigued and wishing the best for both of them!

That's where I'll stop. This episode had a lot of plot threads that aren't necessarily my favorites, but I actually didn't mind what happened within them, and there were plenty of other elements to enjoy.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!