May 30, 2018

The Handmaid's Tale: After (2x07)

I'm emotional. That was excellent.

Cons:

Uhhhh.... nothing?

Pros:

Where do I even start? There were so many powerful moments in this episode that I just cannot even pick my favorite, or the one that impacted me the most. Let's start with poor Moira, who finds proof that her girlfriend was killed during the war. The flashback stuff, learning that Moira had a kid for a couple, who payed her thousands of dollars, really added a lot of flavor to her character. I feel like I understand her better. And putting a face to her previously unknown girlfriend added to the tragedy of it all as well. This episode came with some surprising reunions, but here we see the proof of one reunion that is never going to happen. It was incredibly moving.

I also enjoy the development of Luke and Moira's friendship. I like the fact that they're really only tied together by their shared connection with June, and that they didn't actually get along all that well in the past. But now, on the other side of so much pain and heartbreak, they stand united. Luke holds Moira's hands as she mourns her lost love, and I believe in the power of their found family.

I love all of the ceremonies in Gilead. By which I mean I hate them, they're super creepy. But I love the creativity, and how just when I think they've run out, they'll come up with a new one. We see a funeral for the Handmaids who were killed in the bombing. Apparently quite a few Commanders were killed, which is... good, I guess, but the price was a heavy one. The ceremony, with the black wing-tips and face coverings, was just as eerie, just as oddly precise and choreographed, as many of the others we've seen. That was a great effect.

Commander Waterford is injured, but alive. This is so much more interesting than if he was just dead, because it means that he still commands the authority of his position. When another Commander starts sniffing around, doubting Offred's story about being kidnapped, the ladies have to take control to save themselves. With Nick's help, Serena gets the antagonistic Commander stripped of his rank and taken away by the authorities. Next, she drafts new orders for decreasing security in Gilead, and she has June edit them for her. The episode ends on an incredibly powerful image of June clicking a pen to begin making notes. This is the genius of this show. It builds up its atmosphere and its premise so incredibly strongly that something mundane like a pen clicking becomes a powerful incendiary symbol of feminist resistance.

Serena Joy Waterford is one of the most fascinating figures I've ever seen on television. She is clearly despicable in so much of what she does, and yet I celebrated when she took matters into her own hands. I want her to take control over her own life and her own destiny. Nick is in on the deceit, which I like, and of course Offred is all for a little bit of rule-breaking now and then. To say the least. But what does this all mean?

There was a moment in this episode that gave me intense goosebumps and actually maybe made me tear up a little bit, and it's another example of how good this show is at creating an atmosphere. The conversation that made me cry was:

"My name is June."
"I'm Brianna."
"Hi."
"Hi."

Think about that. Think about the context required to make those words meaningful and powerful. Earlier, June realized that nobody knew Ofglen's real name before she died, and she is clearly wanting to make sure that doesn't happen again. Emily and Janine are back from the colonies, as apparently disgraced Handmaids are being brought back to replace the ones that died. June starts by offering her name to Emily, in response to Emily offering hers a while back. She then turns to another Handmaid and the exchange I wrote out above takes place. This starts a chain reaction of everyone telling each other their true names. We also have the scene in Canada, where a ceremony takes place and the names of all the Handmaids killed in the bombing are read out. The power of names, you guys. The sheer power of having your name returned to you, or, even better, taking it back, when it's been stolen. I really like this as a symbol for resistance.

But there's an unlikely wolf among the sheep - little Eden seems to be completely loyal to Gilead, and I think she might cause more problems going forward...

Guys, this show is SO GOOD. This episode really felt like things were starting to culminate. We still have a fair bit of the season ahead of us, but things are moving into position. Emily and Janine are back. The Handmaids are beginning to resist. The foundations of this society are starting to crack. I can't wait to find out more!

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!