May 22, 2018

Elementary: Our Time Is Up (6x04)

This episode came so close to being PERFECT, but then one little moment at the end had to throw things into wack for me.

Cons:

I loved the plot thread with Joan and Lin so much, but then we see that Joan is considering adopting a child at the end. Don't get me wrong - I love a motherhood narrative as much as the next person. But I feel like you never see stories on TV about women who never become mothers and also never regret it. Joan has never indicated that she wants kids. We don't have a story about Sherlock never becoming a father, and yet we're obligated to have a story about Joan becoming a mom? Why? Can't we have a strong woman who genuinely is not interested in kids? Can't we have Joan be a complete person without children in her life? All I can say is, I hope this subject is treated with nuance and care moving forward. I don't want Joan to adopt a kid, but if she does, it better be handled properly.

The case this week had its fair share of twists and turns, and for the most part I found it enjoyable... but the motivations of the bad guy were a little odd to me. It also bothers me that he was figured out because he said a Greek Orthodox saying in a recording of the murder, and his last name is super Greek. That feels a bit like clumsy story-telling.

Pros:

Like I said, the subplot with Joan came so close to being perfect, that if you shave off the last minute of the episode, the whole thing becomes really admirable. The victim in the case this week used to be Joan's therapist, and Joan succumbs to the temptation of reading the file on herself. She learns that this woman thinks she would have made a good mother, and that she channeled her maternal instincts into her work instead. This really throws Joan for a loop. Lin was amazing with her response - she tells Joan under no uncertain terms that she is a complete person, a good, amazing, person, and that being a mother should have nothing to do with that. She's not missing anything in her life. I loved her impassioned speech, and I'm bitter that Joan is looking into adoption despite her previous lack of interest in motherhood. But whatever. Lin was great.

In the case this week, I really liked the moment when Joan and Sherlock are blackmailed by the evil corporate guy, because he has proof of Sherlock stealing evidence from a crime scene. Of course, Sherlock calls the guy's bluff immediately. Still, it's been a while since we've seen Sherlock get in trouble for breaking the rules, and it was interesting to see him break a rule so blatantly here. Maybe his condition is making him reckless.

Speaking of said condition, Sherlock is doing okay for the most part this week, but he does spend time in a Victorian sensory deprivation chamber to stave off headaches. I like that we're not dropping this significant plot thread, and I'm really excited for what could be coming up later in the season because of it. We didn't get to see Sherlock's new serial killer BFF this week, but we learn that they've been talking quite a bit, enough that Joan really wants to meet this new man in Sherlock's life. This can't be leading anywhere good, and I'm thrilled I get to watch it all go down.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!