May 13, 2018

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Force of Gravity (5x21)

You guys!!! May and Coulson!!!

Cons:

I still wish that Fitz wasn't quite so well-adjusted all of a sudden? His attitude towards Mack is rubbing me the wrong way as well. I was so excited after the episode with Fitz's Framework alter-ego, and now it seems like the fall-out from that whole situation was pretty much nonexistent. That's too bad.

Also, not a complaint so much as a question/concern... how is Infinity War going to tie in? We've seen glimpses of the chaos in New York, but that means that the past couple of episodes have all taken place in just the beginning parts of the movie. I won't say the thing that happens at the end of Infinity War, just in case there's actually a fan of this TV show who hasn't seen it yet, but suffice it to say... there are consequences that it would be impossible for this show not to address in some way. I'm nervous about how that reality is going to interact with the show in the final episode.

Pros:

Deke is hilarious. I know I keep flip-flopping on how I feel about him, but this week I really loved him. He and May working together was fantastic. I love that Deke is a fish out of water, but the closer we get to the future that we've already seen, the more unique insights he can offer, and the more helpful he becomes. This doesn't mean he's necessarily entirely competent, but it does mean he's able to be a real part of the team. My favorite line from him is when Daisy escapes from her captors and runs in to Deke and the others: "Daisy! Are you okay? Did they... hurt you, or whatever?" It was just such a Deke line. I loved it.

Daisy got to be uniquely bad-ass this week. From within a prison in her own mind, she is able to break free and use her Quake powers to escape her captors. Awesome. She also gets to make fun of Coulson for kissing May, which was great.

And like. You guys. Let's talk about it. They do the big, dramatic make-out scene in the middle of a battle, Coulson's cool robot hand making a shield in front of them to stop the bullets. It's literally done in slow-mo, up to and including Daisy rounding the corner and seeing them lock lips. The perfect mix of romantic, bad-ass, and comedic. I'm seriously going to be so devastated if Coulson really dies. He and May are just starting to get their act together! Come on!

Then there's Talbot. The scenes with him and his family were chilling. Clearly he's lost all perspective. I like that a lot of his fear and anger comes from logical places, so it's plausible that he wouldn't be able to see how far he's fallen. It makes sense that he'd be upset with his wife for helping Hydra to make him "comply," and it makes sense that he'd want to patch up his relationship with his son and show himself to be a hero. And yet, when the reality happens, it's all twisted up and wrong. As the episode ends, we see that Talbot has Robin, and wants to use her to figure out where to dig for more Gravitonium. This is some world-ending stuff, you guys...

Yeah. I'm seriously so all about the May and Coulson thing. Coulson's life is in danger as the episode ends and he collapses, and at this point I seriously don't know what's going to happen. ABC hasn't officially renewed the show yet. Could they actually end this whole show, that started because of the popularity of Phil Coulson from Avengers, with that same character's death?!

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!