May 20, 2018

Supernatural: Let the Good Times Roll (13x23)

Cas is SO UPSET, you guys. And so am I!

Cons:

Okay, so... the special effects were pretty darn bad. Especially the flying Dean/Michael and Lucifer fight. That was not nearly as cool as they wanted it to be. And it wasn't funny in a purposeful way either. It was just kind of pathetic.

I guess I was kind of confused as to the plans/motivations of all the Apocalypse World people, because in the last episode, the idea was that none of them would have left at all unless they knew they could come back and defeat Michael for good. And then in this episode, even though they still assume that Michael is in their original world wreaking havoc, they all start settling in and talk about staying. It was a really weird and sudden shift in motivation.

Pros:

The stuff with Jack was... excellent. He hurts someone, trying to get revenge for a dead girl, but then learns that this guy is innocent. There's this really sad scene where he's yelling at himself and hitting himself, horrified by his violence and power. Of course, that's when Lucifer shows up to further corrupt him. So that's no good. I love that Jack got to learn for himself that Lucifer is horrible, even if I was getting impatient in last week's episode. We also got to see Jack using new and creepy powers, like compelling the truth from Lucifer. And we saw him without his powers, and then we saw him get them back. All in all, a busy day for Jack. I'm so excited to see even more from this character next season, and I'm very relieved that he's not gone!

But guys. Guess who is gone? Lucifer! Maybe for good? Probably for good? I'm so happy! Yeah, I wanted Sam to get the killing blow, but honestly I'm pretty good with this way too. Dean gave up a lot in order to make that happen, and Jack and Sam got to witness it. Sam even got to assist by throwing the blade up to Dean. I really do think that Lucifer is gone for good this time. The only way I can see him coming back is in flashbacks/alternate realities/time travel, or if this show is still on the air another five years from now, they might do another loop around on the apocalypse. But this is truly a fitting end for Lucifer. It also brings back around the concept of Michael as a bad guy. We saw that with Jack's hatred of him, but we didn't get to see much of it in action. That was always one of my favorite aspects of the apocalypse story-line back in the early seasons - this idea that Lucifer and Michael are equally uncaring about the fate of the world. They're just doing what they're destined to do, damn the consequences. Michael, reunited with his Sword (aka Dean Winchester), could be incredibly dangerous. This is the most excited I've been about a new villainous threat in quite some time.

Before we get to the Cas stuff, let's talk about some of the smaller details. We didn't get to see Rowena or Charlie in this finale, but we learn that they're... road-tripping together? I kind of love this? Our original Charlie is dead in part because Rowena wasn't able to protect her, but this Charlie and Rowena can totally be friends. I love this as a way of getting Charlie back. Also, Bobby! He and Mary go for a little walk, and Bobby says he likes it here and wants to stay. Are they hinting at a romance for these two? Honestly... I'd be down. I can just picture John Winchester's confused reaction from the afterlife... ha!

And finally... Cas. He wasn't the focus of this episode, nor should he have been, but for whatever reason, he's the character whose personal journey this episode had the most impact on me. For one thing, we've been seeing a great deal of bad-ass Cas this season. He's shown as being actually competent, and I'm really pleased with that. Secondly, there's this sense that he really does belong there with the Winchesters, and really is their family. I hope we can keep this up next season. I want to see Sam, Cas, and Jack working together to save Dean! Yes please! And finally... I kind of can't believe how much emphasis was put on Cas' reaction to Dean being possessed by Michael. Sam isn't there to talk Dean out of it, or give his blessing, or anything. Cas is the one who tries to stop Dean, and Cas' reaction of devastation and loss is the last one we focus on before seeing the ending of Michael with the flashing eyes. I can only cross my fingers and hope that we get a lot of emphasis on Cas next season as our heroes work to save Dean. I want them to be in looooove. Gah.

I feel like there's a lot more I could say about this finale. But suffice it to say, I liked it. Lucifer is gone, and Sam got to be so happy and relieved about that for half a second, before the next crisis took over. I know we've had a lot of Sam and Dean being in peril and needing to be saved over hiatuses, but this really is different from anything we've seen before. I don't think Dean has ever really been possessed before. He certainly never has consented to having an angel possess him. And this is Michael. This is an archangel. This is the angel that Dean was "destined" to host since before he was born. I'm scared.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!