April 13, 2018

The Big Bang Theory: The Reclusive Potential (11x20)

Continually uninspired.

Cons:

One of the complaints I'm always coming back to with this show is that there's just not a lot of creativity. There are fun setups, and then little follow-through. This episode was better than some, but the same problems exist. We see Penny and Bernadette throwing Amy a bachelorette party, but Amy passes out very quickly when we get to the bar, so we don't get to see much in the way of creative shenanigans. And the guys go and meet a genius recluse, but they just sit around and talk for a while and then leave. Not the worst scenes in this show's history, but just not that creative either.

Pros:

I did like the "thesis" of the episode, if you will. Basically, Sheldon sees a truly genius man who isolates himself from society and produces great results. But, he realizes, this is not the life for him. The guys encourage him, telling him it's a good thing that he lives a full life and has more going on for himself. He goes home and shares this with Amy. I enjoy seeing evidence that Sheldon continues to grow as a person through his relationship with Amy. It's more than I can say for most of the other characters on this show. Also, the line about rabbit vs. squirrel was pretty great.

Over on the girls' side of the episode, I appreciated Penny and Bernadette for trying to give Amy the party she wanted - a nice and quiet quilting bee. Of course, Amy is disappointed, so they then go to the bar for a crazy time. Amy passes out almost immediately after a couple of shots. As I said, there was a lot of unrealized creative potential here, but I still found parts of it fun and nice. How sweet is it that Penny and Bernadette lie to Amy and tell her that she did wild things before passing out? Now Amy can at least have the memory of a memory of a fun bachelorette party. That somehow feels true to her character.

The final scene between Amy and Sheldon was surprisingly sweet, and Amy's incompetent river dancing sealed the deal. It's odd for me that I actually root for these two as a couple, but I suppose I do. There's just so little of substance to gravitate to on this show!

7.5/10

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!