April 05, 2018

Modern Family: Daddy Issues (9x18)

This episode felt like a big ol' mess.

Cons:

Did you notice that there were setups that got dropped? Like Joe wanting to play a video game with Luke, or Haley leaving her phone at her boss's house? And apparently Alex was part of Gloria's prank, although I didn't get that until a couple beats too long after the fact.

And some of these plot threads felt like way too much setup for not nearly a good enough payoff. I totally believed that this random guy might be Manny's actual father, and I was getting caught up in that story. When it was revealed that it was all an April Fool's joke, I was left feeling bereft. The joke is that Gloria's joke went too far, but the problem with that is that... yeah. The joke went too far, meaning that not only is it not funny for Manny or Jay, but it's also not funny to the viewer.

There were elements about Claire and Phil's plot thread that I enjoyed, but the climax felt very rushed, and the buildup was mostly just dull. I would have loved a longer scene in the apartment at the end, instead of so much of Phil wandering around being unable to come up with a present.

Pros:

There was a lot of promise in the idea of Gloria pranking Manny and Jay, and I suppose I should give the episode credit. I didn't see that twist coming! And the way that this guy acted like Manny was pretty hilarious too. He had the mannerisms and everything down pat.

As I mentioned, I did like the climax of Claire and Phil's plot thread, even if it felt a bit rushed. The fact that Phil's lame-o gift of a mop ends up saving the day was... well, it would be stupid, if it weren't just so fun to watch these actors do some physical comedy. And Claire's idea for an anniversary present was actually very sweet - recreating their earlier life together in their very first apartment. That's adorable!

The most successful plot thread was with Cam, Mitchell, and Lily. There were some elements of it that were a bit overwrought and hokey, but there were also some delicate issues that were addressed with a degree of subtlety I would not have expected. Lily feels insecure that she doesn't wear a bra, and her dads aren't sure how to handle that. What ends up happening is that the two men put aside all insecurities about raising a daughter and do their best for Lily. They nearly embarrass her in front of her friends at a sleepover, but then end up giving the girls good advice about how to get a boy's attention. Lily thanks them for giving her a training bra, which I think is sweet. There are some weird hangups that parents and kids can have talking about certain issues, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the subject of Lily going through puberty handled with such grace. It does beg the question of timelines on this show, though. Are we supposed to believe it's been about twelve years since Season One, when Cam and Mitchell brought home Lily as a baby? If I'm doing my math right, then Haley, who was, what, fifteen at the start of the show, should be 27 years old now. Is that how old we're supposed to think she is? And Alex is 25? I know this doesn't matter, but still. I noticed it.

And... yeah. Not a winner of an episode. Modern Family is going to be able to eke out several more seasons in today's television climate, and in some ways I think that's a bummer. I wish sitcoms would bow out gracefully every once in a while. This show is definitely showing its age!

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!