April 12, 2018

Suits: Inevitable (7x13)

What the heck, Paula?

Cons:

I've been saying for weeks now that I actually like Paula and Harvey as a couple. Here's the thing: I'm happy, in a way, that we're not dragging out the love triangle thing unnecessarily, when we all know how it's going to end up. But what I'm bummed about is that in ending it, the story ends up making Paula look like kind of a monster. She basically decides that her insecurities over Donna are too strong, so if she and Harvey are going to make it, then Harvey and Donna can't work together anymore. Donna begs her to reconsider, and when she doesn't, Donna tries to resign. This is so messed up! I can't believe that these three adult humans think that Donna damaging her career is an acceptable thing to consider just to preserve Paula's security in her relationship. Gross!

Similarly gross? Louis and Sheila. I'm just not digging this whole story for Louis. I thought we were going to see him continue on his trend of growing up and being better, but instead it's like he's backsliding. I like Sheila perfectly fine, and their weird foreplay is always hilarious. But I don't want to watch Louis perpetuate adultery like this, and the longer that Sheila goes along with it, the more respect I lose for her.

I like Rachel, I really do, but the scenes about her and Mike's future are just more of a reminder of how little time we have left with the two of them on the show. I get the need to spend that time solidifying their relationship so we can be confident in their future off the air, but at the same time, the episodes are dwindling, and I want to see these two interact with the other characters more.

Pros:

The good thing about the Paula story is that Harvey makes the right call for Donna. For one of the only times ever, he actually puts her needs above his own. He still has some lingering resentment over the kiss, and it's fair to say that Donna's actions have cost Harvey one of the only serious romantic relationships he's ever been able to cultivate. But Harvey knows that Donna deserves her job at Specter Litt, and he doesn't let her walk away from it. That was great.

I also liked Paula and Harvey going to dinner with Harvey's mom. There are so few shows out there that deal with a mother-son relationship, especially when the son is a full grown man with a successful career. I've gained quite the appreciation for the time and detail that went into cultivating that relationship, so it was fun to see Harvey's mother make another appearance, and even be able to talk about Harvey's childhood and about his father without any old resentments cropping up.

It was fun to see Stu again... he's a character I never would have expected myself to enjoy, but every time he's on the show, I actually like him! And if I didn't know that Donna and Harvey were obviously endgame, I'd actually think Donna and Stu were pretty cute together!

Turning to Mike and Rachel: while I wish we could spend more time with them interacting with other characters, we actually did get some good Mike and Harvey scenes this week, and even a sweet Rachel and Louis scene, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. And I like the idea of hypothetical conversations about the future through the use of the code-word "bullshit." It's sweet that Rachel is employing a technique that she learned from her parents. Maybe they end up moving to Iceland for a year. Wouldn't that be nuts? I can't imagine doing something like that... it sure would be an adventure!

Harvey and Mike were super cute and it made me really sad for a couple of weeks from now when we have to say goodbye to this dynamic. There was superhero banter, working a case together, and they actually pull out a win that puts them on the right side of a corporate case, which puts the cutest, biggest, smile on Mike's face. I just cannot even with these two. There's also the fact that Harvey accuses Mike of missing him because he's been spending so much time with Paula, and Mike... does not deny it. In fact, he loses the ability to come up with a witty comeback and just says "shut up, and go to your stupid dinner." How freakin' adorable is that? Of course, it all makes me really sad when you think about the inevitable end... Harvey even says something about it early in the episode. Mike wonders why Harvey asked for Mike's help when he could have handled a case himself, and it's clear that Harvey just wanted the chance to work with Mike. He then says something about how "nothing lasts forever," and I hate that stupid foreshadowing! Remember how messed up Harvey was when Mike left the last time? I know that they're both in healthier places in their lives now, and they will be able to say goodbye with minimal angst. Still, it's going to be so sad!

And... I guess that's all I've got for this one! I really don't want the Mike and Harvey days to be over, you guys!

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!