March 06, 2014

The Walking Dead: Still (4x12)

Remember how I've been complaining that there's not enough central action in this show lately? And how we're basically just watching characters walk around? Well, this episode proves me wrong, in a way. All that happens, technically, is that Daryl and Beth walk around aimlessly. But damn. This was my favorite episode since we've gotten back from hiatus. By a long shot. It was a character development goldmine, and I now want to see more Daryl and Beth, no matter what the plot.

Daryl and Beth are going from camp to camp, keeping on the move. At one point they are forced to spend the night in the trunk of a car to avoid a hoard of Walkers. Beth decides she wants to have a drink, as in, alcohol, and Daryl can't convince her otherwise. The two of them make their way to a country club, where they are almost overrun by Walkers, but when Beth finds some peach schnapps, she seems unable to bring herself to drink it. Daryl, noticing her distress, declares that she needs something better for her first drink.

Daryl makes his way to a rundown shack that he says he tracked down with Michonne. He gives Beth some moonshine. The two play "never have I ever," but Daryl ends up getting angry at Beth, basically accusing her of being a spoiled little brat. He becomes incensed, shooting his crossbow at a Walker and pinning it, without killing it, to the house. Beth and Daryl end up screaming at each other, and Daryl finally admits that he blames himself for what happened with the Governor, and for the deaths of all of their friends. The two of them cry and hug it out.

Later, Daryl tells Beth about his life before the apocalypse. He was basically just a drifter with Merle. He recounts one story in which a drug dealer actually held a gun to his head and threatened to kill him, all because he insulted a kid's TV show. Beth and Daryl decide to burn down the house they were staying in.

So, as you can see, the plot is... not very plotty. Just Beth and Daryl. No other living human souls in the entire thing. And I thought I would miss them - I thought I would want their scenes to be broken up with some more Rick, or Maggie, or Glenn, or whoever. But no. It was great just the way it was.

In terms of complaints... I'll admit that the pacing was a bit slow up top. There were a lot of stretches without any dialogue. My attention was held for the most part, but I might have wanted things sped up just a touch, if I were being picky.

However - mostly, this episode was a real winner. I'm going to be brief (don't I always promise that?) and list some of the elements that were particularly strong.

Right up top, I have to mention the acting from Norman Reedus and Emily Kinney. They both killed it with their performances. I think these are some Emmy-worthy actors.

Beth's rebellion - her desire to drink alcohol is coming from a normal teenage desire to do something stupid and reckless, but it's more than that. Alcohol is tied up very closely with her perception of her own recently murdered father, and just from a scene where Beth looks sadly at a bottle of schnapps, this actress is able to convey the complexities of her feelings on the subject.

Daryl's breakdown. Damn. This whole scene - really the whole second half of the episode, was just so perfectly paced. Daryl is silent, stoic, and then slightly drunk and playing silly games, and then pissed and hurting and guilty and depressed. And then... what the hell? Let's burn down a house. Because why not. Even with the sparse dialogue and extended scenes, Daryl's emotional journey really held my attention.

Beth almost gets set upon by a bunch of Walkers. Again, I've been complaining over the past few episodes that the Walkers by themselves aren't really threatening anymore. But, again, this episode seems to be the exception. The fact that Beth walks off, by herself, and then hides behind a tree hoping that they'll pass... it was actually a bit of a tense moment. Very nicely handled.

I could go on, but I did say I'd keep it quick. What a fantastic episode!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!