March 31, 2013

Supernatural: Freaks and Geeks (8x18)

......... Eh. After last week's amazing episode, I think I was just expecting too much from Supernatural. This episode just wasn't very good for me. It didn't keep me engaged, the plot had some problems, it was really predictable, and it didn't connect to this awesome build up with the trials, etc. etc. other than a few throw-away comments. I didn't hate it or anything. It just wasn't anything special. I'll be brief, because this episode was underwhelming enough that I don't have a lot to say.

The plot was kind of silly. The minute we met Victor, it was obvious that he was bad news. His life and vision were just too perfect, and too strange, to be legitimate. When we finally learned the truth about him, it wasn't at all shocking. I also didn't understand what the vampires were getting out of this. It was a real shame because the vampires are normally a pretty scary Supernatural monster, and I appreciate their refusal to make the vampires romantic/sexualized. This week's episode underused them. One thing I did appreciate here was the fact that Sam and Dean didn't fall for Victor's plot. They suspected him from the beginning. When Sam was knocked out, it was pretty much sheer dumb luck, and it was so funny to see his embarrassed little look to Dean when he was tied up. So... I do appreciate the Smart Winchester angle here.

It didn't connect to the larger mythology of this season. I have nothing against monster-of-the-week episodes, but I was getting really excited about the building momentum, and since we have so little of this season left I felt like it was an odd choice to grind the plot to a halt like this. The minor attempts to connect this story to the larger one felt a little weak - Dean wants to close the gates of hell so that the kids can have a normal life, and Sam mutters that "they won't be the only ones."

Okay, here's another slight problem that I had - I understand that Sam wants a normal life, and I get that Dean resents it. We've been here before, folks. About ten thousand times. What bothers me is this: couldn't Sam fix the problem by just telling Dean one simple thing? It could go something like this - "Dean, I want a normal 'apple pie' life. But, I could never be truly happy if you weren't a part of that life. I don't relish in hunting the way you do, and I wish our life growing up had been different, but I've never regretted it being our life. You're my big brother, and you're important to me. When I reject hunting, it's not the same as rejecting you."

I have now been inspired to go write fan fiction. In any case, that was my little side-tangent about my Winchester frustrations.

Now on to the two things about the episode that I did like. I said earlier that I thought attempts to tie in with the larger plot were a failure, but I did appreciate one thing: Sam and Dean's conversation at the beginning. Usually I love heartfelt Impala talks because they're angst-y and moving and adorable. I loved this one because it was hilarious. It felt entirely genuine and brotherly for Dean to ask Sam, rather awkwardly, if he was doing alright, and to have Sam respond by asking Dean about how he was doing, post Cas' beat-down. Dean seemed horrified and embarrassed that Sam wanted to talk about his "feelings," and brushed him off, saying that it had been a "good talk. Nay, great talk. Very healthy."

The other good part of the episode was Krissy, played by Madison McLaughlin. It was so lovely to see a recurring character (and a female one who doesn't die, no less). I enjoyed that the episode tied back to other characters as well, such as the moment when Victor gives a rundown of some less-than-functioning hunters. It was a chilling reminder that the Winchesters really don't have much in the way of allies. Krissy was sassy and tough, just the way we remember her from her earlier appearance in season 7. The highlight of the entire episode was her relationship with Dean.

I loved seeing Dean remind her that hunting wasn't just about revenge, but rather about helping people. His insistence that she get to safety was touching, because it reminded us that while Dean is pretty sure he'll be a hunter for life, he doesn't wish that life on anyone else (maybe not even Sam, but that's of course a bit more complicated). I also loved Dean's threat to Krissy's admirer. Rather than the stereotypical "you hurt her, I'll kill you" that Aiden expected, Dean tells him "no, she'll kill you." It was a perfect moment. I like that Krissy is going to stay on with her friends Aiden and Josephine, and that she says she'll hunt if she has to. If anyone has the chance to live the normal life while still getting a hunt in once in a while, I hope it's her. She deserves some normalcy.

So... as you can see, I had a few problems with this episode. I didn't hate it, but I simply don't think it's going to be one of those episodes that's much talked about in the future. It wasn't bad enough to be mocked or good enough to be celebrated. That being said, it stands to reason that it would get an average rating from me.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!