March 15, 2023

The Mandalorian: The Convert (3x03)

I liked this episode, but I do wonder about the pacing in some spots?

Cons:

It's odd to me that Din's stated purpose at the start of the season was to accepted into the Mandalorian clan again, and by end of episode three, he has achieved this. I have a theory based on absolutely no real proof that maybe original versions of season three had all of this early-season stuff happening before Din and Grogu were reunited. Like, imagine he's on this quest alone, he connects with Bo Katan, whatever. And once he is once again walking the Way, he can't get his son out of his head and he goes to check on him. I feel like pacing-wise that would make more sense in terms of this show. It's a little exciting/cool to have no idea what's going to happen with Din from here, but it's also sort of weird, not gonna lie.

I also thought the little action sequence chase at the start of this episode felt like it was there only to pad time and introduce some adrenaline. It could have been cut, unless it's leading to something bigger.

Pros:

I honestly really liked the whole plot on Coruscant. We meet former baddies who have been enrolled in a New Republic Amnesty program where basically they are monitored and put to work in an attempt to "rehabilitate" them from the Empire's brainwashing. I have a lot of questions/concerns with where they'll take this plot in the future, but honestly I was impressed by how much it was making me think and wonder about the deeper implications. On the one hand, the idea of former fascist scientists coming to work for the "good" guys is such a familiar idea from our own not-so-distant history, and the implications are troubling and fascinating. But on the other hand, our point of view character Dr. Pershing here was NOT asked to put his cloning technology to work in order to help the Republic. In fact, he was expressly forbidden from doing so, to the point that he actually wants to break the rules in order to continue his research, all for the purposes of helping the Republic.

It's... messy. It's not allegorically aligned with anything that I can think of, precisely, because it seems crazy that the Republic wouldn't want to capitalize on the "evil" empire technology however they can. But that said, I find it interesting and I wonder where it's going to go. Dr. Pershing seems totally bought in to the concept of rehabilitation, even if he's struggling with the change. I loved how the other people in the amnesty program had this sort of disturbing devotion to their salvation, in a way that made you wonder which of them were really bought in, which were faking and which, horrifyingly, had been basically mind-wiped into compliance.

Then we've got Elia Kane, who helps Dr. Pershing to steal technology from one of the old Empire ships, but then turns on him immediately. It was a setup, a trap, and I feel like we don't know quite enough about Elia yet to understand what her game is. Is she a spy for her old masters, and this was about getting the technology? She seems to be working with the Republic, and maybe neutralizing Pershing specifically had larger implications that we don't know enough yet to understand. I appreciate the uncertainty, honestly. Lots of crazy stuff could be coming up...

In all, I think this episode was smart to pivot away from Din and Grogu for the bulk of the runtime, and widen our understanding of the world a bit more. Still, I'll be excited to get back to more of helmet man and his lil puppet son next week!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!