March 10, 2023

Grey's Anatomy: Love Don't Cost a Thing (19x09)

Ughh... Teddy and Owen are the worst.

Cons:

The thing is, I like drama. I like melodrama. I also like realistic depictions of marital troubles, that's fine. But there's something just oppressively, overwhelmingly negative and exhausting about Owen and Teddy. Especially since we've got the Maggie and Winston drama, then all the shit going on with Simone and Lucas and her boyfriend back in town. There's just too much of everyone being unhappy and in distress and Owen and Teddy take the cake for being the most annoying about it. Grey's has famously funny and enjoyable dinner party episodes, but this one was just insufferable to watch, as Ben and Bailey are forced to witness Owen and Teddy's constant bickering over the Chief of Trauma position.

And not only do we see them snipping about work stuff, we then we see Ben and Bailey snipping about work/family stuff too. Like: leave them out of this! Can't we have one married couple who I don't want to strangle? Ben was the worst for saying he resented Bailey for going back to work! Like, dude, how dare you!

Also, I get that love triangle drama is an inevitability on this show, but Trey just... doesn't have much interesting going on, he seems like a total asshole, with the way he talked about Simone's friends, and putting her on the spot by re-proposing like that. Jeez. Steer clear.

(Obligatory note that I don't like Link/Jo as a romance thing and I wish they'd cut it out. But they're not going to. Sigh.)

Pros:

I still really like our newer resident characters. I like the vibes of them all in the house, eager to throw a party. I like the various relationship vibes, even though some of it might become insufferable before too long.

On the romance front, setting aside all the clusterfucks and drama, we get to check in with Amelia and Kai who seem happy and cute: I love the FaceTime calls, the two of them joking around and eager to be together. Then there's Helm and Yasuda, who seem to have vibes. Would not be mad about that. And Schmitt, one of my favorites... I'm happy for him getting some action! Although I do still wish we'd gotten some sort of more definitive end for Nico and him? Maybe he'll come back and cause more drama at a later point. Who can say. The best part was seeing Helm and Mika dance it out with Lucas: bringing back old traditions! Making me emotional!

In the hospital, we see Blue getting worked up about a young couple who are going to be plunged into serious medical debts due to the wife's cancer. He suggests they get a divorce as that could open them up to more benefits and won't saddle the husband with the debts. The couple have an emotional divorce ceremony in the hospital. I like how Blue was introduced to us as cold and practical and now we see how much he's been through and all the different aspects of his past that have led him here. I also liked that Jules was there for him, and Maggie was sympathetic but still stern about him crossing a boundary with patients.

Link and Jo's subplot felt a little out of left pocket, but I enjoyed them spending time together as friends, and wish Jo wasn't having heart eyes about it all. It was pretty cute, watching Link and Scout hang out with Jo while they delivered a baby. A nice, uncomplicated medical situation where nothing horrible happened to anybody. Poor Link is being targeted by the community for his involvement in his patient's death last week, the beloved football player, and Teddy is having to field questions about what happened, so that seems like it'll continue to haunt us...

And I'll stop there. I know I didn't go into a ton of detail, but suffice to say I'm hanging in there, I'm willing to see where certain things are going, and I'm annoyed about pretty much every relationship currently on the show. Helm and Mika, fall in love and give me something to root for please...

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!