August 10, 2022

What We Do in the Shadows: The Wedding (4x06)

What did I just witness with my own two eyeballs!

Cons:

I... don't really have any? This episode honestly has everything a person could hope for? I feel a little bad, because this was probably my favorite episode of the season thus far, and it's the one that had the least Young Colin Robinson in it, so... there is that.

Pros:

Again I am at risk of this review just being a long list of funny jokes that I enjoyed, but I'll try and give you a sampling of what I liked so much about this episode.

The Baron! Makeovers with the Baron, a shopping montage, the gargoyle, both Nadja and Lazlo sneaking off for some time in the coat closet with him newly restored to his former glory... absolutely hilarious.

The long line of objections at the wedding, including Guillermo managing the line at the mic to ask people to stop checking about validating parking.

Nadja and Lazlo's songs at the reception about the wedding night, and Nandor the Relentless and his habits in the bedroom...

The djinn trying to get Nandor to stop using his wishes on trivial things like closing the coffin lid because he doesn't want to deal with Guillermo coming in to do it.

All of this stuff was making me smile the whole way through, just a joke every minute, each one funny and quippy and smart and ridiculous.

And Marwa! I've got to say, I have been a little let down by how little Marwa has had to do thus far, but now that she's had a little more room to shine, I can say I really like this character. She's a little bit more of a "straight" character to offset the chaos of most of the main cast, but she's also this very determined and strong-willed lady, whose natural kindness and strength of character keep getting interrupted/altered by the wishes that Nandor is using on altering her to suit him. I love the tension there, now that she's married to Nandor, from the things she might actually want as a character, and what she's been made to think she wants. I can't wait to see where they go with her.

And god, speaking of Nandor and this wishes... I lost my whole entire mind when Nandor wished that Marwa would like what Nandor liked, want what he wanted, and then at the wedding we see Marwa hugging Guillermo and hanging all over him, kissing him... do I think this is on purpose? I don't know. Did I notice the hell out of it? I sure did.

And that's just the beginning of all the Nandor/Guillermo moments. The two of them talking about watching movies together on a rainy afternoon, and Guillermo getting more and more stressed with the wedding planning, and then him saying he'll be right there by Nandor's side if he gets scared... Nandor saying "you're my best... man", and then the moment at the end where Nandor covers him up with a cloak as he sleeps? I mean, come on! I just love all of this for the comedic potential. Nandor is married now, he's got three extra wishes that the djinn gifted him as a wedding present, Guillermo's got his boyfriend who we're going to get to meet soon...

I just can't believe the show is gifting us with such a hilarious setup. Guillermo's living his best life and even though Nandor is a newlywed, he is about to be wracked with terrible jealousy and I am thrilled about it all.

So that's it! Bonus points go to the Guide for talking about her brief but intense love for Nandor, and then later Marwa, upon first meeting them. She's living her best life.

9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!