August 09, 2022

Roswell, New Mexico: Wild Wild West (4x09)

Depute Machete! Kyle as a horse! Ha! This episode was a lot of fun.

Cons:

Allie Meyers feels a little wasted to me in this episode. It was super cool to see her, and I thought her chemistry and charisma on screen was top notch. But... she didn't really have a ton to do, but to nudge Liz in the right direction once or twice. This woman was our big season three cliffhanger, and this is how she's finally folded into the story, nine episodes in to season four? I don't know. It was a bit of a letdown, and I hope Allie gets to do something interesting before the end of the show.

Clyde is boring to me. I think this episode, and the last one, both of which I really liked, emphasized to me how much more I like this season when we're not spending time with Clyde, or really with Bonnie and Tezca either. They take up so much room that I'd rather spend with other characters. This episode felt like a really good example of that. Liz's mindscape didn't have to include Clyde. There was enough going on with all her friends, and Allie, and the "evil" version of Liz, to fill up that time and make things interesting. He felt like he was added in there just because he's a villain and they needed to find something for him to do.

I always try not to make these reviews a list of things I wish I could have gotten, and instead focus on the scenes that we did get to see. Because, guys, if I let myself indulge fully in what I want to see from this show, I would be doing so much more whining about Alex, believe me. I do want to briefly touch on a missed opportunity, though. Isobel hasn't had a moment to react to Dallas, Alex, and Bonnie being missing. I really feel like it would have been easy to add something in, maybe in that conversation between her and Maria. She could draw a parallel, comment on how both Max and Michael are going through their partners being in serious danger. Maybe a quick aside with Michael, let her be sitting around that fire with him and Maria at the end, so she can encourage him about Alex. Just a little something, because I really miss Michael and Isobel together, and I think Isobel should have a chance to react about Alex, for Michael's sake if nothing else!

Pros:

I gotta say, I've been having trouble with Liz this season as I've discussed, and this episode was a breath of fresh air in that regard. The thing that has been annoying me about Liz has been the wishy washy lack of clarity on the actual conflict, like you have her being uncertain about Max, and then the conflict with Max being so messy, both of them reverting back to old patterns in this really unhealthy but also just kind of boring way? So this whole season I felt like I couldn't tell what the point was supposed to be with Liz. What are we working towards?

Now, we have some clarity on that. Liz is still afraid of what her hunger for scientific knowledge might lead to, the people that she might hurt in her quest for answers. But at the same time, she craves the security those answers could provide her. Knowledge is power, knowledge is protection. And what with Max giving up his powers, her friends missing, Clyde causing problems, Liz is positively swimming in uncertainty. So in the moment of truth, she makes the choice to go with the knowledge, the science, and prioritize that, even though there's a risk.

And I love that. It's maybe... the wrong choice, but it's not an evil or completely ridiculous choice either. Very in-character for Liz, while providing a much more interesting conflict going into the final stretch of episodes, than anything Clyde was ever going to give us. I like that it's not Good Liz and Evil Liz, it's just different aspects of her, and which one she is letting take the wheel right now. Can't wait to see how this turns out! I've seen people talking about how Liz is such a bad character because of how selfish she is, but to me, that's what makes her a fascinating protagonist. Sure, we can talk about the uneven way she is sometimes written in grappling with her character flaws, but I'm very much on board with her having said character flaws to begin with.

And as I said, I had just such a great time in all the wild west scenes. The movie references, the outfits, the gunfight, all of our characters dying brutally to teach Liz a lesson... Kyle is a horse and Arturo is a retired depute, Maria is a lounge singer who knows how to use a lasso, Max is a damsel in need of saving, and, once again, I remind you, KYLE IS A HORSE. That seriously cracked me up. I could linger on this insanity for a while, but there's not a lot I can say that's going to be interesting, just... I was having a great time all the way through. And everyone looked real good in their little outfits. Those pants, Liz... and Maria, ma'am, hello. Also Michael... I can't believe I'm saying this, but that look was really working for him.

This episode also gave me some genuine Echo feels, which I've been struggling to feel all season because of all the weirdness with their relationship. I particularly loved the moment at the end when Max wakes up, and almost before he's even taken a breath he's frantically saying "Liz, Liz, Liz, where's Liz?" And then Liz is awake and Max is just lying there, so much obvious relief on his face, with Michael and Isobel right by his side. Echo feels, pod squad feels, I was a happy camper in that moment.

I loved the Isobel and Maria scene! Maria is such a good supportive friend when they remember to write her that way. These two have had such a journey throughout the show, from enemies to sisters, and I was really missing Isobel interacting with the core cast this season, so this scene, where Maria reminds Isobel that she's strong, was such a lovely one. Plus they talked about Kyle... apparently the sex was pretty spectacular. Hell yeah.

And then let's talk about my boy Heath! I was honestly surprised by how happy I was to see him. I never had a problem with his character, but I also didn't think I cared that much? But seeing him pop up actually perked me up a ton! I love the idea of him and Rosa becoming friends in New York. I also wouldn't have a problem if they did a romance thing there. It would feel kind of random, though, so I guess I hope they just don't bother because there's so little time left for all the plot lines we already have in place. But there is something funny about adding even more chaos to the shipping chart, by having Rosa and Liz sleep with the same guy...

Anyway, I digress, I thought it was sweet that Rosa had been going to him for help with her powers, that they shared a hug in their worry for Liz and Dallas, that Heath was able to swoop in and help to save Liz. All very gratifying and sweet. I'm always a sucker for stories where exes get to be close. Liz really does have her ex-boyfriends in her corner, as we saw this week with not only Heath, but also Kyle the Horse. No, I will not be shutting up about that.

Obviously I've saved my Michael and Malex feelings for last! Clearly next week is where we'll really pick up on the rescue mission we started in 4x08, as this episode was appropriately and deservedly focused on Liz. But I love how we kept that thread going! This season has felt sort of wonky with the pacing because it feels like such a long wait between each episode, but in real time, Michael only realized Alex was in trouble yesterday. He's antsy and on edge, he's ready to go throw himself in quicksand, and it's Rosa who talks him down from that.

I love Rosa and Michael! I'd watch a whole spinoff about these two with their chaotic sibling energy, I really would. Their brief scene was a real highlight for me. You've got Michael calling Alex his boyfriend, and then calling him his soulmate, and like, dude, I will fucking take it, I smiled so big when I heard that. And then Rosa and Michael validate each other's feelings of hopelessness, Rosa worrying that she failed Liz by cutting herself off and thus being unable to prevent this latest catastrophe, Michael anxious about his own inaction in getting Alex (his SOULMATE, y'all), out of danger. I love that Rosa told him she understood how helpless he felt, but reminded him that acting without thinking through the consequences wasn't going to help anyone. I love their friendship!

On a smaller note, I also just gotta say I love the through-line and reminder about Michael being a total genius... with Kyle not around to help, he passes the authority on to Michael as the one best able to save Liz. When Heath enters the picture, Michael is still integral to saving the day and finding the answers to get Liz and Max both out safely. I love him!

And I predictably also loved Michael and Maria's final scene, where they affirm their commitment to finding answers and both talk about their theories on what to do next. I liked Maria's explanation for how she was able to hold her shit together. It's not her turn to fall apart right now. Seriously, she needs to let herself have a good cry about all of this soon, though, that girl is holding in a lot of stress! But it makes sense, and Michael too was able to hold it together enough to help save Liz, and I'm just like... so proud of them for all being adults and making good choices and saving their friends. Let's get on it and get Alex and Dallas out of danger next, please!

So there you have it. I had low expectations for Malex content this week, so honestly I was able to just sit back and enjoy this episode for what it was. And what it was, was a lot of fun! And Kyle is a horse!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!