August 31, 2022

What We Do in the Shadows: Freddie (4x09)

Ohhhh boy. I haven't checked for the reception of this episode yet, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say Tumblr isn't happy.

Cons:

So here's the thing, the biggest "con" I have for this episode is one that's very conditional on whether Marwa ever comes back. Turning your only woman of color into a white British man and then sending her off, after a full season in which this character is stripped of her agency and turned into nothing more than exactly what Nandor desires is... well, it's a choice. And to be clear, I think it's a choice the show made on purpose, I think we're supposed to think Nandor's behavior towards Marwa is ghoulish and disgusting and all the rest, I think we're meant to feel horrified by it. But that doesn't change the fact that I expected the payoff for this story to be Marwa getting to live her best life, and now instead she's... effectively... erased from existence? I don't know. This ending for her character gives me very weird, uncomfortable vibes. I would have played this differently if it really is the end for Marwa, at least resetting her back to her original state before sending her off into the world. If they go back and do more with this character later, I'll be happy. If they don't, I'm side-eyeing the way this was developed pretty hard.

As far as the rest of the episode goes, I will say that I definitely liked the stuff in the main plot with Freddie more than the subplots. Looks like Colin is now a teenager in terms of development, and I'm kind of ready for him to be his adult self again. This is like baby Groot, or something. I'm ready for the original character to return from his purgatory. Nadja's troubles at the club similarly felt a bit underwhelming to me, I'm sorry to say. Some good jokes here or there, but I felt like the actual comedic bulk of the episode was treading water at some points, to get to our conclusion moment, which did work pretty well.

Pros:

I feel like I need to tap dance so much around my thoughts on the Freddie situation! Suffice to say, if this is building up to a better resolution for Marwa down the line, I'll be totally satisfied. In and of itself, the fact that this fucked up thing happens to her character doesn't bother me, because the point is that all these characters do fucked up and immoral and thoughtless things to people. It's part of the comedy and the tension of the show. So yeah, the fact that Guillermo's boyfriend shows up, Nandor gets a crush on him, uses one of his remaining djinn wishes to transform his wife Marwa into an exact copy of Freddie, and then in the end the two Freddies fall in love and Guillermo and Nandor are both single... that's really fucking funny. That's clever, that totally subverts our expectations... people were ready for Nandor to be jealous that Guillermo had a boyfriend, and never in a million years would I have expected the story to take this turn. I admired the insanity of this concept so much! I just wish I could understand what they were thinking with the resolution of it.

This really has been Guillermo's season, not in terms of everything going well for him, exactly, but just in terms of the screen time and development being given to this character and his desires. We see how happy he is to have Freddie, something in his life that's disconnected from Nandor and the rest of his life as a familiar. The shattering when he realizes what Nandor has done is really effective. There's a rule in comedy about how in order for anything to land, there has to be the moment where it stops being a joke. Like in The Princess Bride, when Inigo says "I want my father back, you son of a bitch." In a lot of ways, Guillermo storming off from Nandor, and Nandor realizing he's deeply hurt his friend, is the equivalent of that moment. It's effective if, once again, we keep it in a bubble.

In the subplots, while I mostly was just kind of shrugging, I did enjoy Sofia Coppola getting her head ripped off, and I liked Lazlo's endless list of vampire music pun names. There are always some fun one-off jokes in this show, even when a certain plot thread or scene doesn't hit quite right.

I think ultimately what this episode sets up, though, is a good thing: with only one episode left of the season, all of our characters have been brought low. Young Colin is going through a change and has thus lost his childhood stardom, Lazlo is trying to navigate the changing role he has as Colin's parent of sorts, Nadja is losing her club, Guillermo has lost his boyfriend, and Nandor has lost Guillermo, or at least it looks like that very well might be the case, along with losing his wife. The stated purposes of these characters at the start of the season have all been shattered. Nandor wanted to settle down and be married. He had it, he lost it. Guillermo wanted to assert a sense of identity outside of his role as a familiar. He had it, he lost it. Nadja wanted to open a vampire night club. She had it, she lost it. I think that works really well as a thematic tie for this episode.

So I'm torn. Again, having not explored the reaction of the fandom, I'm willing to bet that people are livid about what happened to Marwa in this episode, and frankly I'm not exactly pleased with it either. But I do think that structurally and in terms of our core cast, there are some interesting things that have been set up in this one. I know people expected Nandor to be jealous, but this twist was honestly funnier and more revealing about the fucked up nature of Nandor and Guillermo's whole deal. I suppose I'm willing to wait and see where they go from here, although Marwa's exit, if indeed that is the last we see of her, is a serious mark against the show at this point.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!