March 07, 2022

The Walking Dead: Rogue Element (11x11)

Oh damn, poor Eugene!

Cons:

I guess I want a bit more information from the leaders of this community... so far we just get "they seem nice but they're all kind of creepy" and it's about time to learn a bit more. Do any of them have qualms about what they're doing? I guess this isn't so much a con as something I hope they explore a bit more later on.

I see that most clearly in Carol's little detour this week, with Hornsby, where we learn that the Commonwealth does deals with other less idealized communities. Specifically, they get their opium supply for the hospital from one such group. This could be interesting color and certainly raises some questions, but mostly it just had me scratching my head as to why Carol would be given this tour. If this is an Authoritarian community, why do the newcomers get to spend so much time poking around in their business? Does Carol have a job, or what?

Pros:

Perhaps paradoxically, I love Connie as an investigative reporter! All of her stuff is riveting. Her sister is her interpreter but clearly has serious concerns about the risks she's taking for information. I loved that tension, where Kelly is torn between doing a good job as an interpreter, and trying to save Connie and herself from the ire of the Commonwealth. By the end of the episode, we've got an informant slipping a list of names under the door, including the man who disrupted the ball last week. So things are getting intriguing! I think I'm more just along for the ride because this kind of story, the intrigue and mystery aspect, is different from what we usually see on the show. Maybe it's a little silly, but it's still a breath of fresh air.

And then Eugene. See, tonally I think the stuff with Eugene is kind of bizarre, and there were moments when I was honestly confused as to whether or not something was being played as a comedy beat, but in a weird way I don't mind it. Like he's literally got a conspiracy board while he's looking for Stephanie, with the red string and everything. It's silly, but in a way I was compelled by nonetheless. I think it's the actor playing Eugene. I really believe in his love for Stephanie, and in the incredible gratitude he feels towards her, for being there for him and giving him her time and care. So when she disappears and it seems pretty clear Eugene has been dumped, his desperation to find the truth hits all the harder.

It's not exactly difficult to guess the twist at the end, that Stephanie isn't real, that she was there to get information from Eugene all along... but then we get the potential double-twist that I didn't see coming, which is that another girl shows up claiming to be the one Eugene talked to on the radio to begin with. This is a bit intriguing, as I find myself earnestly wishing for Eugene's happiness.

I also really liked Princess in this episode. She tried to be a good friend to Eugene, but she was also honest with him when she needed to be. She's acclimating to the community pretty well, and doesn't need Eugene's paranoid shenanigans to ruin her chances!

In all, I think what I can say about these past couple of episodes is that they're different. They're fun because they don't feel like what the show has done in the past, so honestly I can look past a lot of stupidity just for the joy of being somewhat engaged in what the heck is going to happen next.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!