March 18, 2022

Grey's Anatomy: The Makings of You (18x12)

Huh. I feel distinctly torn about this episode.

Cons:

I like that we're actually doing some stuff with the kids, it's fun to see Zola have a personality and interests of their own, but also... oof... the kids' acting in this show is... not the greatest. It's a little distracting to see Maggie and Winston playing off of the performances from the little ones playing Bailey and Ellis, and even Zola.

Nick. Okay, so in this episode, we meet Nick's niece Charlotte, and we learn that he can have a bit of a temper sometimes, and that he's overprotective of his niece. Real, concrete information about this guy. A personality. I wish I could bring myself to care more. I will give them credit and say this is the most that a storyline with Nick has ever made me want to pay attention, and that's because I love Meredith and I want her to be safe and happy. I just can't quite click with this generic nobody, no matter how hard they try and make me.

I suppose it was fun to see Ellis Grey and have her share some insights about giving Maggie up for adoption, but honestly this plot thread didn't seem to give us any new information? There was sort of a revelation there at the end where Maggie said she'd felt like something was missing because she'd never known her mom, but that after reading the letter she can let go of that or whatever... I don't know, it seemed a little flimsy to me.

Pros:

As I said, though, this story with Nick was the closest to a good one the show has had with his character all season. Charlotte and Meredith's conversation in the kitchen was a particular highlight for me. They could have gone a far more dramatic route and had Nick and Meredith get into some big fight, but instead Nick is sort of snippy and Meredith chats with Charlotte like an adult and doesn't overstep her bounds, and things end more or less peacefully. I keep grappling with the fact that Nick is boring as hell, but that I am genuinely happy for Meredith getting to have this kind of peace and gentleness.

While Maggie's story felt a little thin on the ground, I enjoyed it from a performance perspective. Maggie's exhausted, and she gets this unexpected blast from the past, and she's having uncomfortable and conflicting feelings about it. I love how Winston steps up with the kids, and is there for his wife: they genuinely do make such a nice couple, it's touching to see.

Finally, we've got the third sister in this little unconventional family, Amelia. I love seeing her and Kai together. They go out to a bar, Kai's in a band, they have tender, fantastic sex, they get to know each other, Kai has names for all their plants, they talk about Kai not wanting kids, and Amelia learning more about herself. Without the interjection of Link drama, or Jo drama, or Owen and Teddy drama, this episode was allowed to focus on the start of something new and lovely and exciting. I'm all about it!

That's all I've got for this one, short and sweet. We get some time with Maggie, Meredith, and Amelia, and took a step away from some of the plot threads that have been annoying me most all season. Onwards to what's next!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!