March 11, 2020

Schitt's Creek: Sunrise, Sunset (6x10)

Where's my boy Patrick?

Cons:

Seriously, though, any episode without Patrick in it is missing something in my humble opinion!

And even David had less to do than one might hope for him. Basically, he's picking out food for his wedding, and he wants all of the most elaborate, expensive options. Johnny has agreed to pay, but he finds out some bad news about the new motel he's just purchased, and that makes him hesitant to put down the money.

There's nothing wrong with the subplot here, and I actually really liked the resolution of it, but it didn't spark anything in particular for me. It was there, it happened, the end.

Pros:

The one thing I really did like about the subplot is that Stevie uses advice from Johnny's book on business, to come up with a big idea to make them some real money. They are basically going to franchise the motels the same way they did the video stores, back in the days of Rose Video. I like that Johnny wanted to be ambitious, and Stevie was always the one being dragged along... but now she's coming forward with big plans, and taking the initiative to be a real partner in the enterprise! I've been sort of uncertain about Stevie's role this season, but I liked what this episode is setting up.

The main plot is where things really shine, though. Moira has been getting her due in this final season, and I am all about it! It's time for a Sunrise Bay reunion, folks! Turns out, Moira getting press because of the Crows movie is just what her old co-stars and creative team need, in order to get a reboot of the show made - on prime time, to boot! We get to see clips of the show itself, as Alexis, still going through her breakup, has been binging it. We also learn that Moira's co-star conspired to have her written out of the show, due to jealousy.

There was just so much delightful hilarity here. I particularly liked how Alexis and David are both straight-faced and sincere in declaring that Moira is very good in the show, but that her co-star is terrible. They appear to both be giving the exact same type of campy soap opera performance, so I just love the steadfast and matter-of-fact way that everyone agrees Moira is a talented actress. I don't even think they're faking it - part of the joke is them actually believing what they are saying!

I also liked that Moira found out about her co-star's betrayal, and tried to negotiate for what she's worth, and ended up negotiating herself right out of a job. So it all comes full circle to how she lost the job the first time around! It would have been funny to see Moira as part of a revival, but I also think her life really has moved on from that time, even if sometimes she fails to see it.

I'm sure I'm missing plenty of great stuff to talk about, but that's where I'll leave things for now. This was a really fun episode for Moira, and there was a great moment for Johnny and Stevie as well!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!