March 01, 2019

Grey's Anatomy: We Didn't Start the Fire (15x15)

I really liked almost everything about this episode!

Cons:

Owen came across as a total dick. I mean, I think he was supposed to, to some extent, but it was way worse than I think it was supposed to be. Also, even though Owen was being awful, I was still feeling annoyed with Amelia. Each time she makes a speech and decides to walk away, it seems to make sense in the specific situation. Owen is being horrible, he hasn't been checking in on Amelia's feelings, he's been insensitive about drug addiction, he's clearly jealous about Teddy and Koracick... yeah. Amelia should totally get out of that situation. Except that this isn't the first, second, or even third time that Amelia has made some grand decision to stay away from Owen, and when you look at it all in aggregate, it becomes clear that her words are pretty meaningless. She won't actually stay away from him permanently, so we as the audience are going to have to suffer through the same repetitive nonsense again. It's getting beyond annoying.

Also, Meredith and Andrew accidentally starting a fire in Jackson's apartment was played pretty much entirely for laughs, which I thought was odd and a bit insensitive... could they not have treated that potentially life-ending disaster with a bit more gravitas? I'm glad that this didn't turn in to a total mess with lots of injuries and death, but maybe the characters could have been more sensitive to the possibility of such catastrophe happening?

Maggie's plot thread wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it did make me feel very annoyed. She's upset because the woman she hated from med school wrote an article about how she had to advocate for herself to save her life. Maggie sees the article and feels slighted, so she decides, with prompting from Richard, to write her own version of the story that celebrates her surgical achievement. I get what they were going for here, and I agree that this woman is a piece of work. But honestly? It's not Maggie's story. She's not the one who was sick and almost died. It felt really awkward to have her be so up in arms about this situation. It just further highlighted the fact that Maggie is really selfish.

Pros:

For the most part, though, I really enjoyed the more light-hearted tone of this episode. It had plenty of serious stuff going on in it, but for the most part it didn't take place in the hospital, and it was just about these doctors hanging out with one another instead of performing surgeries.

Jo and Alex are precious. I love that their relationship is so strong. Alex has been through so much with his mother. In earlier seasons, you might have expected him to retreat into himself when confronted with his past, and shut Jo out. Instead, we see them working together. The most poignant moment for me was when Jo makes a comment about how nice the scarves are that Helen knitted for them. Alex says "she shouldn't have needles." His mind is automatically looking for the potential disaster, and it's so sad. I absolutely loved the moment when Alex realized there was a real fire, and he was overjoyed about it, because it meant his mom wasn't losing her grip on reality. That was a nice dose of comedy mixed in with real emotions. It was also extra-strength adorable when Meredith and Helen met, and Alex got all overwhelmed with love, surrounded by his wife, his mother, and his best friend in the world. He deserves it.

Meredith and DeLuca are giving me the warm and fuzzies. So far, it doesn't feel particularly real or deep, but it feels like something that they both deserve. I liked that Meredith took the time to tell Alex about it, both as the chief and as her best friend. They sort of skated right past the fact that Alex once put DeLuca in the hospital, but I'm okay with that. The speaking in Italian thing is cute, Webber walking in on them was hilariously awkward, and their connection feels like something that could really grow. I was expecting the other shoe to drop in the form of Meredith's children being an obstacle, but instead it's the fact that DeLuca's father suddenly shows up. We know something about this guy's history, and his relationship to his son... so this can only mean more delicious drama coming down the pipeline.

While Amelia and Owen are still bothering me for so many, many reasons, I'll admit that I'm pleased with the wrap-up of Britney's story, and the fact that Leo is coming back to be with Owen. I like that Britney left without saying goodbye at first, and that Amelia, under pressure from so many different angles, kept fixating on it. Then, at the end, Britney is back, and she does say goodbye, and thank you. The hug between Owen, Amelia, Leo, and Britney was actually quite emotional. Amelia might be right that her relationship with Owen was built around the kids. Maybe that's the only thing that was keeping them together. But that doesn't change how important and meaningful the bond between the four of them was, and always will be.

So, this party that Jackson is throwing is supposed to be to celebrate Catherine's recovery. However, Catherine decides to stall going to the party by hanging out with Bailey in her limo. I like that Catherine, who is normally not shy about celebrating herself, is having a hard time dealing with her cancer and the dread that is following her around. Turns out, Bailey was just the right person to talk to about that. I'm not normally a fan of Catherine, but this plot thread between these two women was actually really sweet. I'm glad Catherine encouraged Bailey to treat herself, and I loved what Bailey said to Catherine about not wasting joy while you have it. Yeah, it's a cliche, very "carpe diem," but so what? Bailey remarks that they're still here, and people love them, so that's cause for celebration. That was true of their characters, and also true of Grey's Anatomy, a show that has now surpassed ER as the longest ever scripted medical show.

I really like Koracick and Teddy together. Teddy annoyed me earlier on in this season, but I'm completely with her now. Koracick makes her happy! And he seems to genuinely be in it for the long haul. He's attentive, and he does stuff to help her through her pregnancy without making her feel like any less of a desirable woman. I really root for them, and I hope Owen can stay the heck out of the way.

I always feel like I'm going to forget someone... there are just so many characters! At the end of the day, this was an excellent episode, and I'm so happy for Grey's Anatomy that they've met this huge milestone!

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!