February 02, 2019

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: I Need A Break (4x12)

It's almost exhausting, how good this show is. I worry I'm going to run out of things to say because I don't want to write whole review that's just endless gushing, but... yeah. This was another fantastic episode.

Cons:

Really nothing. If the episode had been a bit longer I would have liked to see Rebecca apologize to Nathaniel for showing up at his house like that, but I'm sure that will be something that's addressed maybe next week, and it's really a small detail. Also, I still can't help missing Santino Fontana, even though Skylar Astin is doing a fantastic job.

Pros:

I'm going to take the list approach because there are just so many elements that I want to discuss, that I'd be here all day if I wrote a full paragraph for each.

- Greg's Springsteen song was hilarious. I loved the bit about the guitar, and I loved that the song was kind of complicated in its messaging. If Rebecca had been in a better place, maybe she would have taken Greg's message in the spirit it was intended, but instead it goes to a dark place because she's in a dark place.

- Greg and Rebecca have some incompatibilities, and I don't know if they'll make it work in the end, but I like that even in dark moments, they're still trying to be honest and have real conversations about how they feel. This is particularly evident when Greg asks Rebecca about her therapy, and then says he wants to give her the space that she so clearly needs, even though he wishes he could help her.

- Rebecca is acting off in this episode, way too perky and happy, and it really feels like the way she was when with Josh, or even the early stages of her romance with Nathaniel. Astute viewers will understand she's backsliding even before we hear Dr. Akopian say so directly. 

- Although this was a particularly big backslide in some ways, as Rebecca tries to hook up with both Nathaniel and Josh, it's not as big of a deal as some other dark moments that she's had, and even though it takes her a while, she does ultimately get help, and listens to Dr. Shin's advice. Inside of Rebecca's head-space, it probably seems like she's just going in circles, but we can tell that she's making strides and improving things.

- That scene at the end, where Rebecca sends a text to Paula, and then one to Greg, and then takes a pill, was really powerful. Rebecca has decided to accept help, and that theme was built to so naturally through both plot threads in the episode, that it feels like a really cathartic moment.

- The other songs were great too - both encapsulated where Rebecca was in her mind. One was about denial, one was about despair, but also an acknowledgment of the need to do better.

- Nathaniel and Josh were both such gentlemen. The Nathaniel of two seasons ago probably would have slept with Rebecca in this situation. And Josh was aware enough to pick up on the fact that something was really wrong, and to try and help Rebecca through it.

- And then we have Paula's plot thread. Obviously the parallels are clear, as Rebecca is refusing to admit she needs help, and Paula is doing the same, powering through her life even while feeling miserable and sick.

- Great acting and great makeup design to make Paula look miserable and terrible. I really believed in her pain, and early in the episode when I still thought it was hot flashes, I was horrified - I really don't want to go through that some day!

- I loved that moment with Scott and Rebecca sitting together waiting to hear if Paula was going to be okay. I also just think it's so sweet that Scott called Rebecca. He didn't call anyone in his family, or Paula's dad or anything... he called Rebecca, because he needed solidarity in that moment.

- The scene at the end where Rebecca is telling Paula to take care of herself was a direct parallel to Rebecca's own situation, but I like that it never tipped its way into being strictly about Rebecca. Paula doesn't know about Rebecca's recent mini-spiral, so there's no moment when Paula tells Rebecca to take care of herself too. This is a moment that is - rightfully - all about Paula.

That's what I've got for now. I'm so excited for the last six episodes, and I'm sure it's all going to be amazing until we get to the end!

9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!