November 16, 2018

The Big Bang Theory: The Citation Negation (12x09)

I don't think that's how any of this research paper stuff works. But okay whatever.

Cons:

Um. You're telling me that there's a paper disproving Sheldon and Amy's big theory, and they just didn't find it? If some Russian people disproved something, there would have been multiple papers and studies about it, and Sheldon and Amy would have found the original paper cited in other papers. Plus, what is this business about "tracking down citations" in the library? Where did they get the papers in the first place? If it was on JSTOR or some other online database, the citation would have been right there. I don't have a PhD, but this did not feel true to life. Not that it has to, but whatever. It bothered me for some reason.

Also, I was a little bummed they didn't do more with Penny's video game savvy. In the past, we've seen her fall way down the rabbit hole of video gaming, so I wish we could have gotten a hint of that obsessive Penny again.

Pros:

While the logic surrounding Amy and Sheldon's setback doesn't really hold up, I do like the character work that it involves. I like that Sheldon was properly upset about Leonard's news, but he actually didn't take it out on Leonard. He responded calmly at first, and even when he broke down, it wasn't directed at Leonard at all. That feels like real growth! I also like that Amy admits to putting her emotions on hold in order to support Sheldon. It's a thing that both people in a relationship might do sometimes, to be supportive, but it's not something that someone should feel like they have to do all the time.

I like that they decided to grieve together for their lost project. It's nice to have someone who can just sit and stew with you for a while. Obviously Penny and Leonard are right that they will bounce back and find something new to be excited about, but it's also okay to take some time to mourn!

The subplot was pretty basic, but it did get a couple of chuckles out of me. Bernadette wants to beat Raj and Howard at a video game, but she sucks at it. She gets some coaching from Howard's girlfriend, but then still sucks the second time she tries. I liked that resolution. You would expect her to have gotten really good at it, but instead she just continued to suck. Later she beats Penny, who sooo doesn't care, so at least Bernadette gets to assuage her competitive side! The best moment was when Bernadette, salty about losing to Howard, decides to declare "I make more money than you!" as she leave the room.

That's all I've got for this one. Another adequate installment.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!