November 18, 2018

Outlander: The False Bride (4x03)

I wasn't the biggest fan of this episode, although it's not like it was horrible or anything...

Cons:

Going in, I thought most of my complaints were going to be about Roger and Bree's side of the episode, but I was actually a little bit more interested in them than I was the Claire and Jamie stuff. This episode features the Frasers going out into the wilderness. Ian has finally convinced his uncle to let him stay in America, and very quickly Ian splits off with new character John Quincy Meyers to trade with some natives. Jamie and Claire are in the woods during a storm, they get separated, Claire has a weird experience with a ghost, and then the two decide at the episode's end that they will found Fraser's Ridge together, instead of settling in a town.

There were plenty of good things here, but Claire's ghost experience read very cheesy to me. Just the contrivance of them getting separated, and Claire getting thrown from her horse, and all of that. And they discuss their future and what will be safest and best, which I liked, but Jamie's decision at the episode's end still feels a tad rushed, for all that.

Over in Bree and Roger's side of things, I was pleasantly surprised by most of the content, but I still think Roger's behavior is a little suspect. Him wanting to marry Bree is fine, but Brianna isn't so unreasonable when she talks about Roger's hypocrisy and the fact that this is all moving a little fast. I think I'm meant to feel sympathy for both of them given this situation, but to be honest, I'm totally on Brianna's side. Oh, and one small thing - the slow-motion during the dancing at the festival was wayyyy too cheesy.

Pros:

Despite my conflicted feelings about last week's episode, I did like the final moments we got of River Run here, and the goodbyes with Jocasta. I'll be interested to see how the River Run story stuff gets integrated as the season continues.

I like Ian choosing to stay, and Jamie finally respecting that choice. While his interest in the natives is fetishistic in a way that makes me uncomfortable, I still think this actor is doing a great job, and since I know what's coming up, I'm excited to see it all play out. John Quincy Meyers doesn't have a ton of material here, but I still really like his character and look forward to seeing more.

All of the ghost stuff, and the getting separated in the storm stuff was a little much for me, but I did really like the conversation that Jamie and Claire had about the future. Claire wants something safe for the two of them, since she does know what's coming up. But she doesn't want Jamie to settle for a conventional life. On the other side of that coin, Jamie says that if it were just him, he'd probably spend his life as a roaming outlaw. But it's not him. It's Claire. And Ian. And Fergus. And Marsali. And he would do anything to keep his family safe and happy. The decision made in the end feels like a good balance. They know that things will be difficult in the future, since they will be allying themselves with the loyalists before the revolution even begins. But they will have freedom, and they will get to build a place all their own.

Over on Brianna and Roger's side of things - the year is 1970. They have been in a long-distance sort of courtship for a while now, and Roger is coming to America to attend a Scottish festival. They have a great time, and things heat up as Brianna invites Roger back to her cabin. But Roger then proposes to Bree, and she says no. The two end the weekend having ended their relationship, as Roger makes it clear that he wants all or nothing.

I mentioned above that I think Roger's stance is a little unreasonable. But that said, the scene between Roger and Bree in her cabin was the most invested I've felt in Brianna as a character since we met her. It was a long scene, that went from tipsy and happy to hot and heavy, to emotional and sincere, to angry and bitter, and I was with it every step of the way. I don't think the actress playing Brianna is all that great, to be honest, but even last season, when I was really worried about her performance, I commented that she seemed to be at her best in scenes with Roger. Here, we see that. She's funny and charming, but is also intense when the situation warrants it. I thought the scenes between the two of them bode very well for the future of their relationship on the show.

I think that's all I've got. Kind of a short review, but this gets to everything I have to say!

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!