October 07, 2014

The Legend of Korra: After All These Years (4x01)

Wooo!! We're back! And with a strong opening episode! I really don't understand why there was such a short hiatus between the third and fourth seasons... but I suppose I shouldn't complain. I'll be sad to see this show end, though, that's for sure.

Three years have passed since the end of Season Three. In Republic City, we see a young and vain Prince Wu, about ready to re-enter the Earth Kingdom and take his place as king. He is under the protection of Mako, who acts as his bodyguard to protect him from those who might wish him harm. (Especially given what happened to his grandmother three years ago). Mako hates being Wu's bodyguard. Lin gives him the bad news that he will be accompanying Wu back to the Earth Kingdom to continue watching over him.

In the Earth Kingdom, we see Kai and Opal trying to help out a small community that has been overrun by bandits. The Air Benders have been doing this sort of thing all over the Earth Kingdom for the past few years, but they are spread pretty thin. Kuvira, who used to live in the Metal City and work as a soldier for Su Yin, is now trying to unite the Earth Kingdom. She styles herself the "Great Uniter," and has, among her helpers, Bolin, Varrick, Zhu Li, and one of Su Yin's sons. Kuvira tells the governor of the community that she will protect him from bandits, but only if he agrees to fall under Kuvira's command. At first, he refuses, but when Opal and Kai are unable to help bring the community much needed food and supplies, he has no choice but to concede. Opal is furious with Bolin, and with her brother, for working with Kuvira. Kai, on the other hand, says things are going great between him and Jinora.

Back in Republic City, we see Tenzin and his family awaiting Korra's return from the South Pole, where she has been staying with her family. However, Tonraq turns up without Korra - Korra apparently left several months ago, and said she was already in Republic City! We then see Korra participating in Earth Bending cage matches, barely able to hold her own. Apparently she has renounced her identity as the Avatar.

My complaints are mostly on the level of nitpicking. In the scenes with Kuvira and the governor, I really noticed the voice acting from the governor. He did not seem all that involved with the scene. Whenever we saw the whole community gathered around, waiting for news, it just made me roll my eyes a bit. Why are they all just standing there waiting all the time? The governor really spends his days out in the town square waiting for things to happen? Like I said, this is a nitpick.

I love, love love Kuvira. Even if her introduction last season was a bit clunky and obvious, she's shaping up to be a very interesting character. Unlike other villains on this show, who come out of nowhere, Kuvira is very much a part of the community of these characters. Not only is she a former member of Su Yin's community, but she's now traveling with Bolin, one of our principal characters. It's going to be a lot more complicated to see her as just a villain, especially since we know Bolin is on her side. And Zelda Williams did a great job with the voice work. I love her.

I also love the dynamic duo of Kai and Opal. Not what I would have expected... and at first I was all indignant. Where's Jinora?! But then I decided that this was pretty awesome. Both of them are away from their love interests, and yet they make a great team, just the two of them. Kai and Opal were never all that interesting by themselves, but I like them as a pair. I can't wait to see what else they have to offer us.

Prince Wu actually got quite a few laughs, which surprised me. I liked the bit with the pies, and Mako's horror at the thought of continuing to work for him. I hope this means Mako can get an interesting story line of his own for this final season. I'd like to see him become more of a character in his own right.

Finally, I adore the idea of Korra renouncing the name of the Avatar and turning away from her friends and family. It's such a drastic step for her to take. The Legend of Korra has always been a bit darker, a bit more adult than ATLA, and here we're seeing that to greater effect than ever. Let's think about it - if these kids were already seventeen-ish or older when the show started, then they're full-fledged adults now, three years later! They have their own lives, their own paths to follow. I can't wait to see what becomes of Korra and the rest of the gang!

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!