October 03, 2014

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Heavy Is The Head (2x02)

I don't know what to do about this show anymore. It's just ridiculous how much I love it. But at the same time, I feel like throwing something at my computer screen whenever it's on. I mean, what the hell is even happening?!

So, the plot.

Skye reports to Coulson that the Obelisk had some weird symbols on it, the same ones that she has been investigating. Coulson is pretty dismissive of this, which annoys Skye. However, we learn that Coulson has continued to have these weird episodes where he writes the same symbols on the walls. He has confided in May about them, and May helps him to document what's going on.

Creel is still on the loose, and in their efforts to bring him down, Coulson depends on his field agents: May, Skye, and also Lance Hunter. Earlier, Lance had been bribed by Talbot to hand over Coulson. He tells Coulson about it, though, and seems to be on the right side. However, while the team is tracking Creel, Lance shoots May and Skye and tries to take out Creel on his own. It doesn't work.

Luckily, while all of this has been going on, Fitz has been working on a way to shut down Creel's absorbing powers. He gets help from Mack, who seems to treat Fitz normally, unlike everyone else. Fitz realizes that he can use something he came up with earlier to take down Creel. Mack is able to help him figure out what he's trying to say.

So, with Fitz's genius device in hand, Coulson is able to show up in time to save Hunter's life and take down Creel. Coulson meets with General Talbot and delivers a incapacitated Creel to him, in exchange for the US Government to back down and let S.H.I.E.L.D. have its freedom. At first it doesn't look like Talbot will agree, but Coulson surprises Talbot and the other soldiers by hopping on his invisible Bus and flying away.

Raina is also in this episode briefly. She's the one who called Coulson and told him where Creel was going to be. She says she's not working with HYDRA anymore, and it looks like she wants the Obelisk. Which... she ends up getting. At the end of the episode we see a strange man tell Raina to touch the Obelisk. She does, and it doesn't kill her. She wants to know how it works, and the man tells her to bring his daughter to him, and he'll show both of them. Obviously, this is meant to be Skye's dad!

Problems?

What the ever living hell is happening with Simmons? If she is part of HYDRA for real I swear to God I will punch someone in the throat. I cannot even live with this. There had better be a very, very good explanation for this. I know I sound like a panicked fan right now, which I am, but I'm also speaking from a critical standpoint. Simmons being HYDRA does not seem like a good move to make for the plot. Where are they going to go with this? Will she be really evil? Nobody wants to see that! Will it all be a trick? Then it's a lame cop out and what's the point? Will she repent and apologize? We're already getting a redemption arc from Ward! I just don't see what this whole Simmons-is-HYDRA thing is going to offer us. But maybe I shouldn't focus on this, because it's actually just a part of the promo. So. Ahem. Moving on.

I'm not entirely sure about the twist with Skye's dad. This is reminding me uncomfortably of the days when everything was all about the mystery of Skye, which of course I never much cared for. And Raina never did much for me either. However, this is probably another thing I should wait and see about. Maybe they have excellent ideas.

Okay, now onto the good stuff.

Last week I complained that the new characters didn't seem to have much going for them. Well, now I am happy to report that I like Mack and Hunter very much! Hunter has sort of the rebel-with-a-heart-of-gold thing going for him, which is nice. I like the fact that he tells Coulson, point blank, that he's supposed to betray him, and then... he does it anyway. But ultimately, he is a loyal person. He just wants a proper burial for his friend. I like that Coulson asks him to stay. It makes a lot of sense - not only does Coulson enjoy picking up misfits, but he also simply needs the numbers.

Mack is less well-defined as a character right now, but I like him quite a bit. His scenes with Fitz were so sweet. It was exactly what Fitz needed, to have someone treat him like normal. And with Mack's help, Fitz was able to help the team in a big way!

I'm enjoying Skye and Coulson's dynamic right now, too. They had a father/daughter thing going on for a while, but now Coulson has shut down. Skye is understandably a bit peeved about this. Still, it doesn't stop them from having some moments of witty banter. I particularly liked it when Skye commented on Creel's ability to get with the ladies: "He can turn any body part into any material." Oh, Skye.

And speaking of Creel, those were some nice special effects with his absorption powers! Also, nice cloaking powers on the ships. The show is over-all more visually impressive this season.

And more on Coulson... I loved his bad-ass exit at the end. That was a moment of awesome power for his character. Similarly, I like the way that Coulson and May are becoming closer than ever. Coulson needs someone he can lean on, and it's nice to see May sticking close to her friend.

I think it's probably best to leave it there. I enjoyed this one quite a bit, even if I'm super duper angry about Simmons. Well, I'll try and be patient!

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!