September 25, 2014

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Shadows (2x01)

Hmmm. I liked this premiere a lot, but I find myself with a lot of questions. Let's start with a plot summary!

We start with a prologue in 1945, as Peggy Carter and her team shut down the last known HYDRA base. They collect the artifacts there, labeling one particular case "0-8-4."

We then flash forward to the present day, where Skye, Maye, and Triplett are monitoring a deal between an ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent and some of Coulson's trustworthy people - involving said 0-8-4, also known as the Obelisk. The deal goes terribly wrong when a man named Carl Creel (Absorbing Man) shows up and steals the Obelisk. Although some of the team manage to shoot him, it doesn't seem to harm him. Coulson asks Skye to question Ward about HYDRA's methods of communication. Once she obtains this information, they realize that General Talbot is in danger. They rescue him by... kidnapping him.

By using his fingerprints, the team is able to break into a government facility. When Agent Hartley grabs the Obelisk, it begins to kill her. The team is able to escape, until Carl Creel shows up again, flipping the car of the fleeing Hartley and Lance Hunter. Hartley is killed, and Creel gets the Obelisk.

Meanwhile, Fitz has been trying to figure out more about Creel's ability to heal himself. He has a hard time figuring out words, but luckily Simmons is by his side to help him out... except apparently she's not. Coulson reveals that Simmons left, supposedly because she thought it would be better for Fitz, but that Fitz has gotten worse, hallucinating her in order to cope with his brain injury.

So! Do I have complaints?

Well, we introduced some new characters in this episode, but none of them really stuck out to me. I can't even really remember their names. Lance Hunter is clearly supposed to be sticking around, but I don't really know anything about him yet. However, maybe it's too early to judge. I remember back during the first half of Season One, Skye, May, and virtually all of the characters were pretty unremarkable. I hope that these new characters will have more distinct personalities soon.

I also think that Coulson's voice-over at the end was a bit sloppy. He seemed to be laying it on pretty thick. However, this is just a small nitpick.

I did, overall, find this start to Season Two to be very promising. This is S.H.I.E.L.D. 2.0. Coulson being in charge is so interesting. He was always the boss, but now he's in charge of a lot more than just his own team. It's already made some noticeable changes to his demeanor, which I like. He has to be a bit more serious. That doesn't stop him from being pretty humorous, though... I think the funniest moment of the whole episode was when he was impersonating Talbot. So precious.

Also, we got to see scruffy, remorseful, suicidal Ward, which was very odd. I still hope that they don't go too far down a redemption arc for his character, because I simply think it will be more interesting if he stays a villain. However, it really pulled at the heart strings to see him in such a pitiful state.

Skye got a new haircut and a new confident attitude, which I love. After Ward betrayed her so thoroughly, it's great that she's found a new mentor in May. Skye, as you all know, was not exactly my favorite character in Season One. However, by the end of last season, I had really warmed up to her, and I'm still appreciating her character.

As I mentioned, some of these new characters don't have much going for them yet, but I am pleased to see that Triplett will be sticking around. I always liked him.

And that Peggy Carter intro was awesome! I can't wait for her show.

Of course I saved Fitzsimmons for last. My poor baby Fitz! To be honest, I knew Simmons was going to be a hallucination from pretty much the first scene. Something felt off, and I thought: well, how could they make this as depressing as possible? And... bingo. But still, it was really well done. Fitz being unable to find words is just so sad, because one of the last things he said to Simmons was that he didn't have the courage to tell her how he felt. He wasn't able to use his words to communicate the truth, and how his mind isn't letting him communicate very well at all. And all the little shoulder touches are just too adorable and depressing.

But seriously - where's Simmons? She left, I'm guessing, because it was too difficult for her to see her best friend so altered. But that's a pretty weak thing to do - I'm not saying it's unforgivable, but I hope we get to explore what Simmons has been up to, and her journey back to Fitz.

I'll leave it there. I think we're in for a lot of exciting stuff this season.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!