April 07, 2014

Parenthood: Cold Feet (5x20)

Okay, last week I was mad at Joel. I'm still mad at him, but now I'm forced to say... Julia! What the hell! Let's go through these different stories. I'll tell you what I think of each.

First of all, Zeek and Camille start packing up the house. Camille has been looking for new places, but so far nothing good. She is having more trouble letting go than she thought, as she doesn't want to get rid of any of their old stuff because of sentimental value. Zeek finds a good place, and shows it to Camille. She loves it.

Cute and simple. That seems to be the case with most of their plot threads nowadays. I'd love to pick up the pace a bit, but I have no real complaints.

Crosby learns that repairing the floors in his house is going to cost a TON of money, money that he really doesn't have. He talks with Adam about it, but Adam says he can't afford to loan him any money, because he's paying for Haddie's college. (Wow! A mention of Haddie! A miracle). The Luncheonette gets a call from the agent of a famous boy band called "4-D," who want to go on tour with Ashes of Rome. However, Oliver Rome says that he's not going to sell out with a group like them. At the launch party for Ashes of Rome's album, the 4-D boys come, and once Oliver Rome sees the luxurious life they're leading, he decides to go on the tour. Crosby is relieved, because the business really needs the money.

Yay! Crosby has something to do again! I like that we're seeing a new development in his life, even if it is a bad one. I thought the 4-D thing was a little silly, seeing as it's such an obvious parody of One Direction. But still, it got a few chuckles out of me.

Kristina asks Julia for help pushing forward with their charter school idea. Julia is really excited to have a project again. She goes to Ed for help with spreadsheets. Ed asks her over for a date. When Julia goes, it's really romantic, but she realizes she's not ready to date, yet. Julia powers ahead with the charter school, and gets Mr. Knight, Adam, and Kristina to work hard to shape up their proposal. Julia pushes for the proposal to go to the school board, and it passes. At the launch party for the Ashes of Rome album, Julia and Mr. Knight end up hanging out. Then, they hook up. Julia! Bad girl!

Now, this is getting interesting. First of all, I loved seeing Julia light up again when she had a new project. It was nice to see her come out of her shell. I was also really glad when nothing happened between her and Ed. However, I'm really shocked that she and Mr. Knight hooked up! I mean, I saw the flirtation between them from the second they were on screen together, but I just did not expect it to go anywhere so quickly! I was really hoping that Julia would remain as saintlike as possible so that I could continue hating Joel without reservation. However, now I'm just dreading Joel finding out what happened! I really don't like how far apart they've pushed these two characters. I mean, it makes for great story telling, but I want them to be alright!

Hank continues to get help from Dr. Pelikan about his feelings for Sarah. Pelikan suggests that Hank might owe Sarah an apology for leaving to go be with his daughter, right after the two of them had decided to date. Hank tries to apologize, but he doesn't do a good job of it. However, after giving it more thought, he goes to Sarah and apologizes again, more sincerely. He says that she gives him hope that he can get better and have more meaningful relationships with the people around him.

Ray Romano is a fantastic actor. I don't even know how I can praise this guy enough. I feel so connected to his character, and so very emotionally invested. However, I'm starting to feel uncomfortable with how focused this story has become on Hank's feelings. I think we might need to explore this from Sarah's side a bit more. It seems like it's all about what Hank is going through, and not about Sarah's journey. I should just give it some time, maybe?

When Sarah comes over to Amber's place, she discovers that Drew has been staying there. She insists that Drew go back to his dorm room, which she is paying for. Drew does so, but he's very annoyed with Berto. Berto decides to try and loosen Drew up by telling him to chug beer and get everything that annoys him about Berto off his chest. Drew does so, and it does seem to improve their relationship. Berto tells Drew that he knows he messed up by sleeping with Natalie, but Drew messed it up first, by ignoring Natalie to be with Amy.

Now this was some good stuff. Funny mixed with bitter. I loved the scene with Berto and Drew getting drunk and just talking about all of Berto's annoying habits. I think the kid who plays Drew is pretty phenomenal. However, I'm still not sure about Natalie. I don't think I really want anything to happen between Drew and Natalie at this point. I feel pretty done with her.

As I think you'll notice, I generally liked most of these plot threads, but almost every single one had some sort of complaint or question. I can't give this episode full marks, but it does make me ask questions and want to know more, which is always a good thing.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!