November 04, 2013

The Legend of Korra: The Guide (2x09)

So, I'm going to start by saying something about last week's double episode. I've been reading a lot of reviews of it, and it seems like I was the only one who was a tad bit underwhelmed. Let me recap what I said about it: visual design = stunning. Story = great. Mythos ideas = amazing. Characters = boring as hell. As a character driven person, I found that this one element was enough to make the episode less than perfect for me. However, it was still an amazing addition to the show in many ways. One of those ways is that it's propelling our main character Korra into action, and we're finally getting more of the Spirit world, which is what we've been promised all season.

So, what do I think of this episode? One of the stories is great. And the other story has serious potential, but isn't quite there yet.

Korra goes to the Air Temple to find Tenzin and his family. They are all surprised to see her, and even more surprised to hear about the civil war. They've been completely cut off from the outside world. (I found this a tad bit hard to believe, but it's a nitpick, and I can let it go). Korra tells everyone about the Harmonic Convergence and how she has to close the portal. She knows that the only way to do this is to go into the Spirit World. Immediately, Tenzin volunteers to help her do so. Only one problem - Tenzin has never managed to successfully enter the Spirit World. It was his one failing as Aang's son. However, the day is saved when Jinora reveals that she has a very deep connection to Spirits. The episode ends as she and Korra enter the Spirit world together, Jinora as Korra's guide.

This plot line was awesome. We got to see some very sweet moments between Tenzin and Korra. She apologized for the way she treated him and their reunion was nice. I also love that Jinora has a bigger role in the story now. I thought it was very true to the nature of children that she noticed how weird her dad was acting. And then her Aunt Kya tells her that Tenzin's pride is just wounded because his young daughter is better at something than he is. I'm very excited to see what this will mean for all of the characters moving forward. Thus far this season, I've found Tenzin and his family to be so much more interesting than Korra's story line. I'm glad the two are finally reconciled.

We briefly see Unalaq, along with Desna and Eska. Unalaq and his children attempt to open the North Pole portal using their Water Bending, but they are unsuccessful. When Desna is injured, Unalaq does not seem to care, focusing all his energies on opening the portal. Eska goes to get him help immediately. This seems to be setting up that the twins will be abandoning their father and joining our heroes. I have mixed feelings about this revelation. On the one hand, I think it adds some depth and complexity to the twins. On the other hand, Avatar: The Last Airbender already had a plot line about a kid turning his back on his evil father and going to the good side. That kid's name was Zuko. So, I hope they find something new to do with this. We shall see, of course.

We then see Unalaq talking with Vaatu, the Spirit of Darkness. Vaatu tells Unalaq that Korra is not dead, like the twins thought, but in fact currently in the Spirit world. I sort of saw it coming that Unalaq would be working with Vaatu, but it's still interesting. Unalaq's motivations have thus far been pretty undefined, so I do like to see a bit more about him here. I'd love to see more back story with him and Korra's father... maybe we'll get that in the future.

Now we must move to Republic City. So, this is the plot that has the potential to be really awesome moving forward, if they play their cards right. Mako tells Bolin and Asami that he thinks Varrick is the one who stole from Future Industries. Neither of them believe him, and they tell him he's probably just stressed out. Mako says he won't let it go. Later, he and Asami share a moment together in his apartment before suddenly the police show up to conduct a search, because apparently the Triple Threats sold Mako out, saying that he was responsible for the theft from Future Industries. They find explosives in Mako's apartment, which seems to prove this, but as Mako is being arrested and taking away, he tells Asami that he didn't do it - clearly he's being set up by Varrick!

Now, Varrick as a bad guy I like. Mako fighting to prove it but being arrested is very interesting. But here's the thing. Bolin, Asami, and Lin are all generally great characters. And they're all acting like idiots! Especially Lin, who was so kick ass last season. It feels very out of character for her to ignore Mako's suspicions and treat him the way she has been. And Bolin is supposed to be Mako's brother! His utter disregard for Mako's situation is really making me angry. And Asami's ignorance and blind trust in Varrick is also hard to buy into. But there is a way that this could work out. If Mako continues to fight this battle alone, and we then learn that Varrick or someone else has been manipulating Bolin and Asami, that would be a wonderful twist. Like... if there are pieces of information that we and Mako don't know about how Varrick has so much power. Maybe he's in league with Vaatu as well? Basically, I think this story line could be amazing if there's a twist coming up. Otherwise, I have to admit I'm not happy with the way Bolin, Asami, and Lin are handling this situation. Is Mako the only one with any sense?

Regardless of a few qualms I may have, I still found this to be a strong episode. Now that we've got Korra going into the Spirit world, I feel like things have really started to get going, and I enjoy that.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!