May 25, 2013

Once Upon a Time: And Straight On 'til Morning (2x22)

I gotta say, I wasn't actually thrilled with this finale. The buildup was excellent, but the payoff felt... strange. However, there were a lot of good things going on in it. Oddly enough, my disappointment is really only coming from one element of the episode, and while ordinarily I wouldn't let one thing sway me from the whole, it was a pretty big thing.

The trigger. All of Greg and Tamara's plot was leading up to this epic trigger business. Storybrooke was going to be wiped off the map! There's some bigger organization fighting to eradicate magic from this world, and our two annoying villains aren't afraid to die for their cause. And then... two seconds of Emma and Regina "working together" is enough to stop it? Really? What kind of payoff is that? Why was the trigger made up to be this end-all device if it was so easily conquered? I'm having difficulties deciding what I think of all this, because I find myself much more interested by the new conflict (that of Henry being taken to Neverland) than I ever was with Tamara and Greg. But the issue still stands - I guess this becomes more an issue with the whole season than with this one episode... why couldn't more of the focus have been on this evil-Peter-Pan business? Now that it is the focus, I feel totally cheated that I haven't had more time to let it all sink in.

Here's the other problem I had here: Belle and Rumple. I find it absolutely ridiculous - and more than a tad insulting - that Lacey could so easily become Belle again. Using a magic potion, of all things. Really? Not only that, but a magic potion made by the Blue Fairy somewhere off-camera. All of a sudden, the dwarves inform us that they're trying to help Sneezy regain his memories, which would be fine if it didn't come completely out of left field and land us with a convenient plot-device potion for Rumple to use on Lacey/Belle. I think I know why this pissed me off so much: it was Belle's love that pulled Rumple away from the darkness of his heart and made him fight to be a better man, but the same isn't true in reverse. I thought that Rumple was going to have to try and save Belle by reminding her of the goodness within, but instead it was just a cheap potion trick that brought Belle back. Where's the drama? Where's the influence on the characters? Lacey feels like even more of a pointless detour now that we know how easy that plot thread was resolved.

So, what did I like? Well, as I mentioned before, I think it's awesome that we have this new conflict, and that it involves Neverland. I found Hook and Bae's interactions to be unbelievably touching, and it felt like a very realistic scenario in that Hook would somehow care for Bae because of who his mother was. One of the most difficult parts of the episode to watch was when Hook found out that Neal was dead, or at the very least stranded. I was very impressed overall with Colin O'Donoghue's performance as Hook in this episode. His character really went through the wringer, and he had to portray Hook as a character who ultimately does care about others, even if he initially appears to care only for himself. I loved how he came back to get the others, and I love that he was willing to go back to Neverland to find Henry.

The concept of an evil Peter Pan is really compelling. I assumed earlier that Neal/Bae was also Peter, but it turns out that is pretty far from the truth. We still have quite a bit of missing time in Bae's story, so I'm thrilled with the prospect of much more Neverland in Season Three. Peter Pan may end up being our principal villain! How unexpected.

Then there's Regina. I was glad that she had this self-sacrificial thing going for her, even if I knew there was no way the show was really going to kill her off. It was touching to see Henry tell her that he loved her, and I am very excited by the possibilities arising between Regina and Emma, as their relationship is tested once again. As this episode ends, we have all our big characters on a ship to go after Henry, and I'll admit that it seems like it will be a very cool way to open up Season Three. Think of all the drama and conflict that can go on in a boat whose passengers are: Hook, Rumple, Emma, Regina, Mary Margaret, and David? It's going to be great!

Then there's Neal - he's alive! And Aurora, Phillip, and Mulan have found him. I want answers as soon as possible about how the hell those two girls saved Phillip, and if they managed to fall in love along the way (they totally did. I ship Mulan/Aurora so hard). But that's beside the point. I didn't think they'd kill Neal, but I'm still glad to have the proof in front of me. 

I know this review has been rather brief, especially by the standards of a finale, but I'm terribly behind with these things, and I'm busy with work and a bunch of other things, so I wanted to get this out. When I think back to the Season One finale and how truly epic it was, this one pales in comparison. However, I think it does serve for an excellent springboard into Season Three. I can't wait to see everyone in Neverland!

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!