May 07, 2013

Modern Family: Flip Flop (4x20)

This episode was nice because it tied together a lot of the characters in the same place. I always like when that happens. Rather than the usual three story lines, there were only two, since Cam and Mitch's story was the same as Phil, Claire, and family. I'll actually start with the other story line, though, which was...

Jay, Gloria, Manny. I absolutely adored this plot thread. Was it super original? No. But it was fantastic. Apparently Javier, Manny's dad, is getting married to a new love interest. But this girl, unlike all of the bimbos of the past, is actually well-read and nice, and she and Manny hit it off right away. The episode is basically Gloria feeling insecure about this new maternal presence in her son's life, until the end, when Trish announces that she can't join this family because she can't compete with someone as amazing as Gloria. Gloria, flattered by all the praise, hugs Trish and welcomes her officially to the family. 

Things I loved most: the game of charades. Manny and Trish's connection during the game of charades, and Gloria's ineptitude at getting even really easy ones like Sweeney Todd. I also loved when Javier was telling GLoria that Trish was the most amazing woman he had ever met, and Gloria is just like: "Do you see I'm holding a knife?" I also thought it was funny that Trish went into Manny's bedroom because she mistook it for a bathroom: "it smells like potpourri."

In the other plot, Cam and Claire's house is finally ready to be flipped and sold, but things don't go smoothly for them. At first, Phil was going to get a great client to come in and buy, but things fell through when Phil tried to push for more money and he lost the guy. Luke, hilariously, provided another client, and the whole family gets together to try and convince him to get the house. However, he's creeped out by how they know everything about him (thanks to Haley's internet skills) and he leaves. In the end, the day is saved by Cam and Mitch pretending to be potential buyers, and the original client wants back in to avoid losing the house.

My favorite moments: Phil's shipper name of his wife and Cam: Clameron. Haha. Luke's insistence that he has a potential buyer, and when they find out that the guy is legitimate, Phil says "thank God." Luke responds: "Really? Did God come in here and tell you about him? Because I don't remember it that way." Haley's online research of Zach Barbie - she finds out that he goes to a school called "mit," to which Alex chimes in: "M. I. T." Haley's answer: "I know how to spell it!" Mitch's "I've never bought beer before. There are just so many choices!"

There were actually a lot of other jokes/moments I really enjoyed. The more I write about this episode the more I realize how much I truly enjoyed it. The only moments that were weaker for me were Phil's competition with Gil Thorpe, which ended up falling a bit flat. In all, this episode is a win!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!