May 02, 2013

Castle: The Fast and the Furriest (5x20)

I found myself remarkably underwhelmed by this episode, so I won't say much about it. When I heard that Castle was going to do an episode about Bigfoot, I guess I expected a lot more.

The main plot concerned professional Bigfoot hunters and experts, and their plots to fake evidence about him. Of course, Castle believes in Bigfoot, and apparently so does Ryan. Some of the only humorous parts of the episode came from the divide between the two sides of the team. Castle and Ryan started espousing their knowledge about Bigfoot, while Beckett and Esposito rolled their eyes. Besides these humorous exchanges, there was really very little going on. The list of suspects were all pretty forgettable, and even the climax of the episode was not all that interesting. Beckett and Castle get trapped in a huge hole, which it turns out is a setup by one of the Bigfoot scientists. Said scientist actually shows up in a costume, but very quickly it is revealed that he is just a human in a suit. The scene managed to avoid both suspense and comedy.

The subplot was also weak. Castle finds that his food is disappearing, so he sets a trap. Turns out, it was Alexis, who gave her food allowance away to a friend who's trying a new charitable and green project. There were a few laughs here, such as the trap going off and covering Alexis with blue dye, and their banter about the Borrowers stealing Castle's food. However, there still wasn't much for me to enjoy.


The only truly funny moments in the episode were the one-liners, which Castle always does so well. Here are some of my favorites.

"You practically turned her into a smurf!" "Na'vi would be a more contemporary reference." (Beckett and Castle, about Alexis).

"Someone set off my trap!" "You set a trap?" "I've got you now, you super rats!" (Castle and Beckett about the trap for the food thief).

"I've never sleep ated. Sleep ate. Eated. Have I?" (Castle to his mother).

Ryan, disturbed after Castle describes the vicious behavior of some monkeys, in defense of Curious George. "George would never do that!"

Castle, afraid of a huge ape named Moonshine, is flummoxed when a human suspect is found. "Damn it. I really like Moonshine for this!"

Other than these occasionally funny lines, the episode really didn't have a lot for me to like. There was nothing really terrible about it, but it didn't make me laugh or feel much of anything, really.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!