April 25, 2013

Grey's Anatomy: Can't Fight This Feeling (9x19)

I don't really have much to say about this episode. The whole time I was watching it, I had basically no real reaction one way or the other. It was perfectly watchable but nothing too outstanding. There were two plot threads I found myself caring about the most this week:

The first was Owen and Christina. I thought that the story this week was a pretty compelling way to add some conflict into their professional/personal relationship. The fact that Owen loses his cool because of his connection to the kid was nice, and I liked that Christina didn't put up with it. She's a good surgeon, and she knows what she's doing. Owen's connection with the boy, Ethan, was really sweet to see as well. I think this is probably a thread that will carry over into future episodes, and I'm happy to see more.

The other plot thread that I enjoyed was the one centered around Derek, Shane, and Heather Brooks. This show is pretty genius in the ways that it introduces new characters and builds them up until we hardly remember a time when they weren't here (Jackson and April, anyone? Owen too!) The intern characters are a lot of fun, and I find myself really invested in their story-lines. Shane was getting jealous of Derek's attention to Brooks. It was a fun plot thread to follow, and I found myself rooting for Brooks while at the same time a bit sad that the Shane/Derek duo was losing its strength. I hope they continue with this in the future.

None of the other plots in this episode really grabbed my attention all that much, but that doesn't make them bad. Guest star Sandra Chalke was compelling as the mother of a little sick boy. Her chemistry with Ellen Pompeo was great, although I thought the pay-off here was a bit weak - they saved the kid, and it made Meredith realize that even with all her mother intuition about Zola, she doesn't know anything about her genetic makeup. She asks Bailey to test Zola, and also to test her for alzheimers. While an interesting idea, I do wish it had been explored a bit more in the episode.

As much as I love Alex, I am getting really tired of his animosity towards Jo and her boyfriend. He's being awfully immature about this! There was a lovely moment with him, however, when he saw April crying and offered to make someone else tell a man that his wife was dead so that Kepner didn't have to do it. He doesn't have to pat someone on the back or sit with them to show that he cares. 

Callie didn't get to go to the TED talk, so Arizona sets up a video call for her. This was cute, but it was such a cheesy and obvious ending when she decided to talk about her trauma and tie in everything on a personal level. Not painful to watch, but still, it wasn't cool enough to excuse the cheesiness.

April and Matthew this week were painfully awkward. I liked the beginning part, when she saw him injured and was in horrified disbelief about the whole thing. But later, when Matthew mistakes Kepner's speech for an "I love you" and reciprocates, I was covering my face with my hands. Awkward! I guess I hope that she comes clean about the not-exactly-a-virgin thing relatively soon. I don't want them to drag it out.

Overall, nothing terrible, nothing too special.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!