October 17, 2024

The Legend of Vox Machina: Cloak and Dagger (3x07)

My heart hurts! I've been waiting to get here!

Cons:

Small thing: I feel like I haven't heard anyone calling Keyleth by her full name all season! It's like... always Kiki. I liked that better when it was an occasional thing.

Big thing: What was that song at the end, when Vex is running to Percy? Like... that is the first time the music on this show has missed hard, and it's such a bummer that it happened over such an intense moment. I was scratching my head wondering how they could have ended up with such a tonally awkward and lyrically basic song here. They've always been so good about the music in the past! The song felt symptomatic of something I was noticing throughout this episode, that the dialogue was a little too on the nose and didn't allow for the audience to come to its own conclusions. Everything with Ripley and her motivations, and Percy choosing mercy over vengeance, it just felt a little more one-note than I would have expected, and that song was the capstone to it all in the worst possible way. It may be the single thing in this entire show so far that I've liked the least. A big, big miss in my opinion.

So like, there's this category of "criticisms" that I think everyone has about this show that isn't actually "this was bad" but more like "there was a very specific vibe or moment from the campaign that I loved, and this new version means I won't get to see it." And it's all a personal preference thing. There are a million little moments that weren't particularly precious to me, and so seeing them get altered didn't faze me in the slightest. But to someone else, that particular character beat might have been one of their favorite moments. For me, I think the big thing about Percy's death that they changed isn't a bad narrative difference for this particular show, but I do have to shout it out. I miss this being more of a group vibe, a group grieving, a group effort against Ripley. I will always remember the "Vox Machina, how do you want to do this?" the solemnity of Matt's voice, the way the group took on that mantle of vengeance from Percy in order to avenge him, because he was their friend and they loved him.

Now, we may still get that in some way, seeing as Anna is still alive? But the entire vibe of Glintshore, the stakes and the combat with the area of effect spells and the entire group unable to take her down in time to stop her from going after Percy... it's really just one of my favorite combats that the campaign ever did, and I'll never forget the way it made me feel to watch it! So again, this isn't a "what the show did was bad" complaint, it's a "this was one of those episodes in the campaign that I would have loved to see play out the way it always is in my head, from back in the day, and I don't get to have that. Oh well."

Pros:

But honestly, setting aside that weird as fuck song choice, I did still think this episode kicked some major ass. These people know how to make good TV and I cannot deny that.

Anna Ripley's backstory to start things off was I think a really smart move. Not just in the sense that giving villains a tragic backstory is the only way to make them more complex, but specifically as a way to underline the Percy and Ripley parallels. This could have been Percy. This was the life path Percy was on. His family dead at the hands of mages, and a burning desire to make the people who hurt him pay for what they've done. Orthax, the invention of fire arms, all of that: it comes from a place of deep bitterness and resentment. How is it fair that some people get to have all the power in this world? Why not make the playing field a little more even? It's not a good idea, but the perspective is totally reasonable and you understand why Anna would be seduced by this life, and why Percy, if he hadn't met Vox Machina when he did, might have become the same thing. Also! Was that a Trent cameo?? Man, I'm excited for the Mighty Nein show.

This season has been so focused on the romances, which I love, but I'm glad that we still get little beats of friendship and other relationships tossed in here. Since there's not a lot of time in each episode to cover the extensive plot and all the character beats, the show leans on very small indicators of this group and how their banter and friendship operates. We have Pike being a little dork about the investigation stuff, and Vax saying how cool it sounded. We have Vax with the nicknames, always. And then we have the more angst-y stuff. I really liked that even in the midst of a Percy/Vex focused episode, when Vex was first influenced by the mind-altering gas, she's hearing her mother, and she's calling out for Vax. Vax is her person, and has been for a long time. We get these hints of sad twin backstory here that I think are important setup for what's to come with the dragons, but also continue Vex's thread of being afraid that her love is dangerous. And then more angst when Pike wakes Grog up from his hallucinations and she's weakened by using her magic, and Grog says "Pike? Did I hurt you again?" Like... rip my heart out, my dude! That was so sad!

What is going on with Pike, though? It's so interesting to have this new plot thread just completely added to the story and weaving in with all these moments. She's got her Vestige, but now when she reaches for the Everlight, it's... something else, coming forward within her. She ends up using some sort of... devilish red spell to wake her friends up, something we're meant to understand in contrast to her usual Everlight healing magic. Also, got to see Zerxus being a sinister reminder of all that we do not yet know about Pike, so that was really cool!

But let's talk about the Percy and the Vex of it all. I love how just utterly and completely down bad he is for her, and how much he wants to find a way to make both of them happy. It's so interesting, because you'd think Percy would be just as angst-y and avoidant about love as Vax has proven to be this season, but on the other hand, this trajectory gels more with what we saw in the campaign. Percy knows his darkest inclinations, he knows the kind of man he has been and might become again. But he also knows he wants to be better, he wants to be happy, and he's not afraid to lean into the things that are helping, the things that make him grounded and successful at keeping that darkness at bay. It's refreshing for such a character type not to go ten rounds being too miserable to allow themselves to be happy. That's what we have Vex's insecurities for, in the end!

That "I'm in love with you" scene, with the sunlight washing over Vex's face? Contrasted with her broken cry of "No!" as she runs to Percy and cradles him in her arms... I mean, some A+ acting from Laura Bailey and some A+ work from the animators. They really sold me on Vex's whole messy avoidant deal. Every word out of her mouth in this episode was such delicious irony for those of us who knew what was coming, as she's talking about how Scanlan will tease her, Keyleth will call her a hypocrite, and Vax will... well, the implication is that Vax will beat up Percy for being with Vex, which is SUCH a fascinating little detail. Because, well, Vex has to know that's not true! She's banking on an earlier and incomplete version of their sibling relationship, this idea that her protective brother Vax will always stand in the way of other people's interference in their lives. But Vax has grown past that, and Vex is well aware. And then Percy is probably just sitting there going... "but in that very awkward hot tub scene, Vax basically gave me his blessing!" I loved the beat where the rest of the gang is looking on at Percy and Vex and rolling their eyes about how obvious it is that the two of them have been hooking up. Even Grog has not been fooled in the slightest.

Percy really gets to complete a journey of self-actualization here as he rejects Ripley's offer and then refuses to kill her, really cementing his turn away from vengeance. He wants to do the right thing. He wants to prove to himself and to the world that recovery and redemption is possible, even after terrible harm. It's so beautiful because in the last episode Percy was talking about how all he wants is to have a life in Whitestone, and then Whitestone is razed to the ground. And then here he just wants a chance to keep growing and changing and getting better, and that is seemingly stolen from him as well. But Percy is a good man and he's brave and he'll keep fighting for what's right, even when everything goes wrong around him. We love him for that!

Combat-wise, we have to talk about what a COOL battle sequence the Ripley (and Orthax) vs. Percy showdown was. I love the steam-punk-y vibes of these characters, I loved the red and black, I loved seeing Orthax taking over Anna the way we saw him taking over Percy in season one. I loved Percy jumping and tumbling around to escape from things and saying "Vax makes that look so easy." I loved him using his gauntlet "Diplomacy" to turn a handshake into an attack - that's the most Percy thing I can think of. And I love that he gets to be a bad-ass, he does the trick with the black powder, and then... No Mercy Percy does just the opposite of what his name implies, and he tries to offer Anna another chance.

It's such a tragic and poignant moment, and despite my personal mourning for certain aspects of Glintshore that didn't play out like they did in the campaign, I thought this was a wonderful moment of storytelling, and a truly tragic ending to the episode! Percy combines his true genius and cunning with a radical type of openness and hope. He truly is a Character of All Time for me.

So... yeah, this might be an episode that has some polarizing feelings from fans. I can imagine a lot of people a tiny bit outraged that Anna Ripley is alive and gets away again here at the end of the episode, which was frankly very much not what I was expecting. As for me, I had a great time watching this episode, and I will just do my best to forget that weird song at the end ever existed.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!