October 04, 2024

Grey's Anatomy: Take Me to Church (21x02)

You know how annoyed I have to be about a plot line for me to be on Teddy's side about something?

Cons:

Sometimes it just legitimately feels as if this show is punking me with the character of Catherine Fox. There was no real mention in this whole episode about her bullshit treatment of everyone else. Oh, Teddy and Owen are back at the hospital, and Amelia still has a job, and we're just kind of not talking about Meredith's research here... because Catherine is maybe dying. It's just so tedious! Do you want me to feel anger and frustration because Catherine is so fucking ridiculous and unreasonable, or do you want me to feel tender and sad about her health? Because I'm feeling the former, and I'm not feeling the latter, sorry!

Winston, I love you, but please stop trying to discourage Richard from stepping down. This dude needs to get out of the OR and away from this hospital! I love Richard, but my GOODNESS, they've run out of things to do with his character in a major way. I also just continue to not give a crap about Lucas Adams, and I find the actor kind of irritating? He's got that Disney Channel teenage-heartthrob vibe, and it's kind of cloying. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how I see it. He has that icky combination of being incredibly privileged but then also feeling constantly sorry for himself. I'm with Simone on this one; when she brought up the possibility of him being an intern again while the rest of them advance, and asking if it's going to cause issues, I think she's dead-on. I'm already dreading watching that play out. Please spare me.

We get more of a full backstory about Kwan and his amnesiac former fiance. I guess he cheated on her right before she got into the car accident. It's so... soap opera-esque? I guess I wish there could have been a more nuanced reason for them to get into a fight. Something that's not as clear-cut. Kwan having complex feelings of loss and guilt about this woman makes sense, but I was hoping for a bit more complexity, I suppose.

Richard snapping at Teddy and scolding her and holding the chief job over her head... like I said, you know I have to be pissed off about a story-line for me to be in Teddy's corner. But come on, Richard, what the hell? In general, not a strong episode for Webber. I was irritated with him on multiple different levels.

This is just a general note about a thing I hope I get to see, but I was excited to see Amelia and Monica working together again, and then a little dismayed that there weren't really any hints about furthering the potential romance vibes there. Don't let me down, Grey's, I wanna see it!

Pros:

So... holy shit. The Schmitt story-line with the sick kid obsessed with death... I fucking cried real tears, y'all. That moment where he's talking about the dilation of time, and making a list with the kid about what he wants to do before he dies? The kid crying and saying "I don't want to die"... it was such a punch to the gut. And the vibes with the pastor dude seemed like maybe they were leading somewhere? I really liked the switch, where the kid was obsessed with mortality and seemed to be processing it relatively well given the reality of his situation, and yet the second it's confirmed that he'll be dead soon, it's really tough for him to hear. And then Levi breaking down afterward from the intensity of that experience... I really felt for him, and I'm really going to miss him when he leaves the show!

Yasuda and Jules making out in the elevator was great, such a classic moment in the Grey's canon, to have people stealing kisses in elevators! And then the elevator opening with Amelia right outside... lol. I hope the vibes here continue to be fun, and Yasuda's exit isn't too horrifyingly tragic.

While Richard and Lucas are both getting on my nerves of late, I did like that little throw-away moment where Sydney called Lucas out for his privilege, of getting to go golfing with important doctors like Richard and Winston. He has the realization that he doesn't want to pull favors and rely on his family name to get past the mess he's in. He'll re-do his intern year and he'll take his lumps. I do like that in theory, although I'd rather just not have to deal with Lucas at all.

I just gotta say, Meredith is kind of a saint. I love her no-nonsense attitude with Catherine, the way she sets the personal stuff aside to assess her health and honor her stupid wish to not tell Richard what's going on. Getting Bailey involved might be kind of bonkers from an ethical perspective, but Meredith needed a consult, and needed backup with Catherine. Setting aside my specific frustrations with Catherine, I really admired Meredith's attitude in this situation.

Another element I liked in a plot thread I didn't much care for: I really do think Kwan has good chemistry with almost any scene partner you put him with. I kind of root for him with every romance that's been hinted. Honestly at this point, my dream scenario is for Lucas to go the hell away, pair Kwan and Simone, and then let Jules and Mika keep happening too. I know that's not what's to be, but Kwan is good at doing the earnest yearning thing. He grows on me more and more.

So. As we wade further into this season, there are a lot of characters who are annoying me, there are a lot of plot elements that feel repetitive and frustrating. But, at the same time, I have a lot of loyalty and affection for a lot of these people, and I'm down to keep following their stories!

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!