April 11, 2014

Elementary: The Many Mouths of Andrew Colville (2x19)

In this case, we get a bit more of Joan's past, which is always nice. However, for all that I love episodes focusing on Joan, I didn't really love this one. It seemed lackluster. I'm not sure if I can explain why. Let's go through a brief plot.

Some new murders involving bodies with bite marks causes an old case to be opened up. The man charged with the old murders is dead. Joan was actually there when it happened, working as a doctor. As these new victims have the same teeth marks, it looks like Andrew Colville might have been innocent after all. Joan is very interested in the case because she's worried that she and her former colleague might have let Colville die because they knew he was a murderer. However, it turns out that there are tons of potential suspects - the bite marks were made by a set of dentures modeled off of Andrew Colville's teeth. They track down everyone who got those dentures in prison, but none of them could have committed the crime. Finally, they discover the truth: Andrew Colville's mother was trying to get a settlement from the police department by making everyone think that her son wasn't guilty of the crime he was put in jail for. Joan, in talking with the doctor who worked on Colville, learns that Colville was guilty. He confessed as much to the doctor before he died.

What did I not like?

I think it's sort of frustrating that we have a case focusing on Joan's past, and yet we don't really learn anything about Joan's past. We just see this one moral dilemma of hers, and nothing else. We have so many characters in this story who are connected to Sherlock in some way. I wish we could have some that are connected to Joan.

In terms of the case... it got a bit silly at times. All the suspects with their dopey attitudes, the mother's total lack of lying abilities when they finally did catch her... it all went down a bit too smoothly for my taste.

But there were good things, too.

Sherlock didn't just dismiss Joan's freak out. He talked her through it, and tried to make her see reason. I really appreciated that. Sherlock obviously really values Joan's presence in his life, to such a degree that he takes special efforts to make her feel comfortable, and to reassure her. For example, I love the fact that Sherlock decided to dress up Clyde and leave him for Joan, to cheer her up when she woke. Also, Sherlock gets invited on a treasure hunt, but he doesn't want to go without good company, AKA Joan. Aw!

Another little detail I greatly enjoyed: multiple mentions of Miss Hudson! I'm sad we didn't get to actually see her, but it was still nice to know that the show hasn't forgotten that she exists.

Wow, I'm sorry this is so short... but I guess that's all I have!

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!