April 24, 2022

Outlander: Sticks and Stones (6x07)

You know, I have one major problem with this episode and it's tied in with a problem I've had with the whole season...

Cons:

I find it insulting that this episode wants us to believe for even one second that Claire may have killed Malva. To me, that's banking on a wholly unnecessary source of drama. The situation is fraught enough as it is, with so many different angles to explore, that I seriously don't think we need to add in this element of "maybe Claire's a murderer!" This is all in connection with the ether thing we've been doing all season. That too feels like an unnecessary element that was added to spice up a story that didn't actually require any more spice. Claire can have her doubts and troubles and traumas without adding in an ether addiction-type thing that makes her hallucinate and causes her to doubt her own mind. There's enough meat on the emotional bones of the story without going there at all!

While I'm glad we get to have the Lizzie subplot with the Beardsley twins, I did think it a bit of a shame that it all happened so quickly in one episode... I wish we'd had the reveal in an earlier episode and then maybe the hand-fast trickery here, to spread it out a bit? This show has a challenge in adaptation that springs from the fact that the books weave together subplots and mete out new information in slow little drips over time. So here, they condense the Malva accusation and her death into one episode, and condense the Beardsley subplot into one episode... I don't know, it doesn't quite work for me on the level of information flow.

Pros:

I'll start with Roger: I'm always fascinated by the subplot of him discovering he wants to be a minister. This is all happening a bit different than in the books, since a big part of Roger's journey there is that his throat is all mangled from his hanging and he can't speak very well. They've done away with that here in the show and I can't really blame them, it just means the focus is on other aspects of this life decision. I like that Brianna kind of knows what's going on but she's a little resistant to it. Not that she's not supportive, but until Roger comes forward and really declares this is what he wants, she's not encouraging. I think that's realistic, and I can understand why Bree would be hesitant!

Jamie and Roger's scene was a highlight for me, I think their dynamic as father and son-in-law is a precious one, and so much of it is connected with the way their worldviews and conceptions of masculinity are different. Jamie puts a lot of value on certain types of caretaking and manliness, and Roger is squeamish about slaughtering animals for meat. But there's a great deal of affection and respect between them all the same, and I like Jamie encouraging Roger to talk to his wife about the situation. So sweet!

While I might have missed out on something due to the timing of the Beardsley subplot, I do think it's one of the funniest and more wild aspects of the books and I'm thrilled that it ended up included in the show. It's just... so funny. Lizzie is this quiet unassuming little girl and then she starts hooking up with two different guys at the same time. And they're identical twins? Yikes! It's weird, but I love how it all plays out, and Claire having to process this information as Lizzie's revealing it. Jamie tries to handle it practically, having Kezzie hand-fast to Lizzie so the baby won't be a bastard, but then the sneaky little sinners go to Roger and ask him to hand-fast Lizzie to Joe... what an absolutely hilarious mess.

As for the main story this week, one thing I like about the whole Christie family drama is that we, the audience, know that Jamie and Claire are good people. We know this isn't their fault, and we marvel at the ingratitude of the people living on Fraser's Ridge, that they could think so poorly of the Frasers, who have done so much to give them a home. BUT, at the same time, it all makes sense how rumors spread and things go wrong. The Fisher Folk are all newer to the Ridge, with less loyalty, so that fans the flames. The religious differences, Claire's unorthodox ways as a more modern woman, and Brianna's too for that matter... and Malva is pretty convincing, a beautiful young woman who is standing up and admitting to adultery. If she was merely pregnant by an unwed young man, why would she make up such a scandalous lie, instead of just quietly marrying the actual father? Couple that with the fact that Claire is found clutching a knife, a dead fetus, and covered in Malva's blood, and you can understand why it's hard to believe that nothing fishy went on between the Frasers and the Christies here.

And all of that makes for a compelling drama, which is part of why I wish that Claire's whole ether thing wasn't included, but whatever. I like a good dramatic setup where you can really understand all the different aspects, why different people would feel certain ways.

Gotta give a shoutout to the big Claire and Jamie acting moment at the end! Claire's grief, the way she carries guilt around with her for every bad thing that's sprung from one of her decisions, it's all so palpable, and I think it's important to keep the story grounded in those emotional stakes for our lead characters! I love how Jamie immediately retorts against Claire's thinking, though, pointing out that her decision to come back through the stones also lead to all the good things in their lives. If Claire had chosen to leave Jamie sooner, Brianna wouldn't exist. If she'd chosen not to come back, all the people at the Ridge wouldn't have their current homes. And you've gotta have a good Jamie Fraser one-liner in there, that thing he says about thanking the devil for tempting Claire to sin? Hell yeah, man, that's the good stuff.

So that's that. I can't believe next week is already the finale! This season has gone by so fast. I've got to say, the more of this show I watch, the more I do prefer the meandering, seemingly aimless way the books take us through these various plot developments, but I understand why the show can't adhere to such a format. For what it is, I still always enjoy tuning into this chaotic nonsense each week. The finale is sure to be intense, with folks wanting retribution for Malva's grizzly murder. But who's the actual murderer in our midst?!?!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!