April 03, 2022

Outlander: Give Me Liberty (6x05)

Lord John Grey!!! My beloved!

Cons:

I remain convinced that they never fully stuck the landing with Murtagh and Jocasta... I was a fan of Murtagh sticking around on the show as long as he did, but the fact that his lasting legacy is now as Jocasta's sadly dead lover instead of Jamie's beloved uncle/father figure is kind of annoying to me. The fact that we spent time on Jocasta mourning for Murtagh here felt very strange.

The elephant in the room whenever we're at River Run: Jocasta is a freakin' slave owner. So when we're sitting around and giggling with her, Claire's getting high with her, all that stuff, it's just super uncomfortable and never properly dealt with. The character of Mary didn't help matters. I don't remember if this is someone we'll learn more about later, I can't quite recall this plot thread from the books, but in this episode she was basically there as set dressing. We learn her mother died and that Jocasta gave her time off to grieve. Okay, so is this supposed to be like a "Jocasta is a good master" thing? Because eww. And then later she's like, telling Jamie that Jocasta has seemed down lately because of losing Murtagh, basically there to provide emotional support to her white master and her white master's family, and I'm just cringing the whole time it's happening. I'll admit I don't have a solution to offer, I'm not sure how I would have made this better, but I'm certainly always uncomfortable by the way it's just kind of... not dealt with in the story.

We have another example of Claire self-medicating in this episode, but it's rather blink-and-you-miss-it. I think one of the reasons this story isn't clicking with me is that Claire is acting completely normal and nobody suspects anything is wrong, outside of the times she's actively using the ether. Five episodes in, I guess I would expect there to be a bit more of a bleed into Claire's daily life. I wish people were picking up on subtle signs that something might be amiss. As it is, it's kind of like Claire's medicating isn't actually hurting her or anyone else, almost like it's not even a real problem. That's not what I think they're trying to imply, though.

Also, a small note, but I wasn't crazy about seeing the flashback to Claire's rape by King Louis. It felt like a weird invasive thought that had no real function beyond reminding us that sexual assault is an all too repeated theme in this show... thanks a lot...

Pros:

Let's start with stuff back at the Ridge, because you know I'm going to want to spend this whole dang review talking about my favorite character, and I've got to check in with some of the others first.

We learn that there have been some rumors running around because Roger is spending so much time with the widow Amy McCallum. Brianna is a little bothered by this, not because she thinks Roger would cheat on her, but because it does give off a certain impression. Roger, however, is enjoying feeling needed by Amy and her son Aiden, since Brianna is so self-sufficient and making all these modernizations to their home without his help. They end up talking about it and Roger creates some distance from Amy for the sake of appearances. Brianna then shares with Roger that she's pregnant!

I surprised myself by finding their story in this episode rather sweet, especially the pregnancy announcement. I think what I liked about it was that it was the kind of nuanced conflict where I understood the feelings of both people involved, and it was handled like a real couple who trust and love one another. They didn't get into some huge fight, they just have a couple conversations about it and move on. I also liked Brianna taking Lizzie, Marsali, and Malva around with her as she works out plans for modern plumbing on the Ridge. It was fun to see all these young gals on an independent little outing.

But then of course there's something more sinister afoot... on that outing, we see some sort of charm circle with finger bones in it, and by the end of the episode we've learned that Malva is the one who's up to something. The scene of her cutting off a corpse's fingers with unadulterated savage glee on her face was one I'm not likely to forget any time soon. We're heading rapidly to the point where things are going to come to a head with Malva, and I'm excited to see it. We also see her viciousness in another instant, when Roger catches her fooling around with a man, and she threatens to tell people he was kissing Amy McCallum, if Roger dares to tell Malva's father. Malva's whole innocent act is proving to be just that, an act! The actress gives such a great and sinister performance.

Jamie calling Fergus "my son" in this episode fucking slayed me as it always does, just wanted to state that for the record... after an incident where a printer's shop is attacked by a mob, and the man in question shot, Jamie worries that Fergus will be in danger in New Bern with his own print shop. Since Jocasta was the one who funded it, Jamie talks to her about it, basically warning her not to try to use her influence to get Fergus to print anything that will get him into trouble. I... know where this is going, provided the show lasts long enough to get to it, and I'm already dreading it.

Flora MacDonald's inclusion in this episode was a great deal of fun, it's always cool to see real historical figures. I'm not sure the flashback at the start with the Bonnie Prince was fully necessary, but it did help to remind us of what the show was once about. I thought they got a great actress to play her, and I like the complexity of such a figure, someone whose loyalties were once with the cause of rebellion, but now firmly align with that of the king. Just like Jamie is supposed to be, and would likely have remained, if not for his time traveling wife and daughter telling him the outcome of history...

That's of course what this show is about, more and more, as we move forward: the looming Revolution. Jamie does a great job in this episode of conversing with other advocates of the rebel cause, of speaking their language and aligning himself with their goals, but the interesting thing is, he's just backing the horse he knows is going to win. It's not that he doesn't find the idea of independence appealing or honorable in and of itself, but the situation is much more complex than that for him, and it certainly wouldn't be an easy decision if it weren't for what he knows. I like how he toes that line, by helping the printer who was printing loyalist materials, but then turning around and telling the rebels that he was fighting for the sake of a free press, not the specifics of what was being said.

And of course one of the factors making this whole thing difficult for Jamie is that it means the severing of his friendship with Lord John Grey... my bestie... also Jamie's bestie...

I love how David Berry plays John, because there's this extremely awkward tension in the air in every scene between Jamie and John, not in a way where you think they don't enjoy seeing each other, but in a way where John isn't even really trying to hide the fact that he's in love with him? And Jamie doesn't quite know how to handle it? I don't know, they just give off such chaotic energy of repressed longing on one side and genuine fondness mingled with unavoidably linked trauma on the other, and I'm deeply obsessed with it.

SO many good quotes in this one. It starts at the very beginning when John is asked if Jamie's a friend of his, and John replies without missing a beat, "one of my dearest." And when he says he has a "particular fondness for reformed Jacobites"? Please, sir. This is a Wendy's. Also, when they're in public or talking about each other to outsiders, they're all "Lord John" and "Mr. Fraser" and then they call each other "John" and "Jamie" when they're speaking privately and it warms my heart!

And also they defend the print shop together. I love how poetic this is, this moment where they're fighting side by side for the same purpose, right before they're about to be irrevocably on opposite sides of a conflict that will last for years... god, the look on John's face when it clicked what Jamie was telling him! "God, I am a fool." And Jamie trying to reassure him, and John getting all worked up... "You, you may lose your life!" He loves him so much, it's unreal. Of course, Jamie goes ahead and asks John for a huge favor, asking him to stall the Redcoats so he can rescue the rebels who are meeting, and John does it even though it goes against what he believes in. That's real friendship, baby! It's so sad, because I don't know when the story will have occasion to include John again. I know that he's not around for quite a large chunk of the story in the books. I love him and I miss him already.

So there you have it! Things are really close to boiling over on all sorts of fronts in Outlander now. In the larger political story, and with Malva at the Ridge... can't wait to see what's next!

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!