September 27, 2021

The Walking Dead: On the Inside (11x06)

That was legitimately quite spooky, I've got to admit!

Cons:

The problem with this show and all of its same-y storylines is that... well, I don't care enough to pay attention, and thus I have to look up characters. I didn't realize who Virgil was until halfway through the episode, because this show's ensemble cast is just too dang big! I like Virgil, I liked him and Connie and their scenes, but I wish they'd do a damn "previously on" or whatever so I could remember this stuff.

I continue to be unimpressed with the whole "Reapers" story-line. I like seeing Daryl handle it and come up with creative ideas to help his friends, but beyond that, I find "Pope" to be an obnoxious addition to our long list of villains, and all the macho posturing and hostility from the one random guy that hates Daryl... I just don't feel any interest in this whatsoever.

Pros:

So, seriously, the stuff with Connie and Virgil was a whole-ass horror film. I haven't been so actively scared of an episode of this show since the very, very early days of it. The pacing, the reveal of who was hiding in the house and how Virgil and Connie were trapped, the way the communication barrier between the two of them caused additional problems... Virgil almost killing Connie by accident, thinking she was one of the deranged humans... Virgil getting stabbed, Connie refusing to leave him behind - it was all pretty compelling and thrilling television.

And then of course Kelly and the others finding them in the nick of time, and the two sisters getting to reunite! That was so satisfying. You always know that if you don't watch a character die onscreen, they're not dead yet, and Connie's miraculous survival and return is probably my favorite the show has ever done!

While I'm not nearly as compelled by Daryl and Leah and all that nonsense, I do love Daryl getting to show how clever and resourceful he is. He expertly plays on the various relationship dynamics happening around him, posturing and antagonizing enough to give Maggie, Negan, and the others a chance to get out of the house. He tells enough of the truth to make the lie believable: that he's scared of Pope, that he doesn't care about this whole group, but that he's here for Leah and wants a second chance. Now, I don't buy that, per se, but I think Daryl can make it convincing because it's closer to the truth than anything else could have been. Daryl hasn't had a lot of opportunities to shine in recent seasons, in terms of his intelligence and resilience. This was a great moment for that!

This is a short review, but this show can't really inspire deeper consideration from me anymore. I liked this one just fine, and that's about all I've got to say!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!