April 28, 2021

The Handmaid's Tale: Nightshade (4x02)

Well dang!

Cons:

I honestly can't think of anything, other than maybe a slight lack of subtlety, which I mentioned in the last review as well. This show can get away with being in your face, but every once in a while it tips itself over the line juuuust slightly. The example I'm thinking of this week is the one where June is poisoning everybody in the brothel while music plays. Her maniacal expression as she becomes a crime boss lady... I don't know. Laying it on a little thick. Gilead makes it hard to be good. We get it.

Also just... logistically, I wish the ending of this one had been a little clearer. Are Janine and Esther and the others... dead? Taken? Nick is there, trying to protect June, but we don't know the fates of the other characters. I get it as a plot hook, but it made the ending of this specific episode a little muddied. The impact of Nick being there was lessened because I was thinking about the other characters, wondering at their fates.

Pros:

But also... omg it's Nick! That ending was so chilling, with Nick forced to play the part, to keep June alive, but the two of them not being able to communicate... I'm definitely excited to see them interact more.

And talking a bit more about June's plot in this episode, her growing relationship to Esther, this sort of mother/daughter, savior/saved thing, while on the surface Esther is the Wife and June is in her household... it's all very compelling. It's why I'm really curious about the fates of Esther and the others, since I want to know if there's more to come. I like that June is taking ownership, and wanting to be the one to make the tough calls and make things happen, although I'm already ready for that to break really bad for her, really soon.

Moira even alludes to it when talking to Emily. When we check in with the Canadian contingent, we see that Luke, Moira, Emily, Rita, and many other Gilead escapees are working together to try and place children into homes with family members or others who want to adopt. But it's not easy. It was so moving and tragic to see one little boy struggle to adjust. He misses the only home he can remember. The only parents he can remember. This is a very real tragedy and complication, and I can understand how hard it must be for Moira and the other adults to see, when they have a better grasp on how their rights were stolen from them. To these children... what do they remember from the time before? Moira handles it wonderfully, bringing Rita over to the boy's house to give him a sense of normal.

We also see that Moira has a new girlfriend. Not much to report here yet - so far seems quite cute, and I want them to work it out. We didn't get checkups on Luke and Emily's personal lives, but I'm sure we'll see that soon!

And then the Waterfords. I know some people find them to be the least interesting aspect of the show, but for me... the performances are strong enough, and the icy chill of these two people and their fucked up personalities are compelling enough, that I just can't look away. I loved Serena trying to manipulate Fred, and Fred not having any of it. I don't feel any sympathy for Serena in the traditional sense. But I do find it fascinating to watch her rationalizing away the things that happened to her in Gilead. Because if she had to recognize the horrors for what they really were... what would that mean for all the people she put through much worse?

The bombshell reveal that Serena is pregnant has me shook. Definitely was not expecting that. Have no idea what it's going to mean going forward.

So there you have it. Going to have to save my review of the third episode for tomorrow. Definitely eager to see the season picking up some serious momentum...

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!