January 22, 2020

Schitt's Creek: The Job Interview (6x03)

Well this was quite cute, although I missed Patrick!

Cons:

Alexis getting a pet turtle was just a touch too cutesy for my taste. If they were going to go there and actually have her get a pet, I wish there could have been more done with it. As it is, the turtle was a clumsy metaphor for putting effort into her relationship with Ted, and it didn't seem to really go much of anywhere.

Moira talked about her desire to get out of Schitt's Creek in this episode, which surprised me somewhat. Not that she would still be wanting to leave, I guess, but just that the show hasn't commented on that in such a long time, and it felt like some artificial urgency was inserted into Moira's motivations here, just because this is the last season. Johnny seems to be pretty happy putting down more roots in the area. Is the endgame really going to be Moira and Johnny leaving? Because if so, that feels thematically a little bit challenging, given that this was their goal on day one, and they've changed so much.

Pros:

The thing is, I do definitely trust this show, and one of the reasons why I think that Moira and Johnny's arc this season will still turn out great, is because of Roland and Jocelyn. How sweet was it for them to come swooping in with the news that they had bought the additional motel property, and are buying in to the business? Johnny was so happy. Seeing him and Roland share a hug was a special thing, if you recall where they started all the way back in the pilot of the show.

And I also want to reiterate how great Johnny and Moira are as a couple. They're eccentric, to say the least, but they genuinely love each other and practice good communication. A lesser sitcom might show Johnny lying to Moira about not getting the bank loan, and coming up with elaborate deceptions as he tries to come up with the money. But not here! He tells Moira the truth right away, and she is disappointed but supportive.

While Alexis and Ted's story this week was mostly shrug-worthy for me, I did think their little "boop" exchange while on their Skype date was pretty darn adorable. It is really sweet that he went to all that trouble to make her feel special.

To nobody's surprise, even without Patrick around, David's plot thread was my favorite. I have such a soft spot for his friendship with Stevie, and I'm really digging Stevie's whole arc this season about finding herself and trying new things. Also, anything that knocks David's ego down a few pegs can only be a net positive for the world!

The comedy in this subplot was on point. I loved everyone snapping for David even when he got the flight attendant scenario wrong, and the banning of the word "complementary," and the way Stevie was just low-key delighted by everything going wrong for David. Of course, she flubbed the first question about her biggest weakness by listing more than one! (I've always hated that question in interviews.)

And then we find out that David is just a really sore loser - not new information, of course, but it's really funny in the context of something that he was only trying to win in order to prove a point. He genuinely didn't even want the job!

That's all for now! This show always brings a smile to my face. Even if I miss my fave Patrick.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!