June 19, 2019

The Handmaid's Tale: Unknown Caller (3x05)

Oh, Serena... sigh.

Cons:

I have some of the same complaints that I did last week, honestly. June gets to talk to Luke on the phone, and there are all these people there, other than just the Waterfords... and yet there are no consequences for her? Doesn't this prove to everyone that she helped Nichole escape? That seemed really unrealistic to me, and is a continuing example of her plot armor.

For the first time, I want to talk about Moira this season, because thus far, she has had nothing to do. There are a lot of really complex, interesting characters in this show, but a few of them are getting short shrift this season. I hope that Moira can have some attention in the near future.

Pros:

I know I talk a lot about Serena, and how fascinating she is. I think the reason I like watching this character so much is that it's forcing me to feel the full scope of humanity in a character who is so clearly a monster. Serena might be redeemed within the show. I don't know if that's the direction it's going, but it's possible. But even if that happens, I won't forgive her. She is complicit in the rape and enslavement of countless innocent women. She created this system, and only seems to feel personal grief when it affects her as an individual. And yet, because of the amazing writing and performances on this show, I can understand that Serena is a victim of the system, while also blaming her for creating it. I can decide never to forgive her for holding June down while Fred raped her, and I can also ache for her as she says goodbye to her daughter. I can bless her for getting the tape from June to Luke, and hate her for agreeing to broadcast a message to Canada, seeking Nichole. She is all of these things and more, and I am so fascinated to watch it play out.

We also see Serena get a renewed offer to betray Gilead while she's in Canada seeing Nichole and Luke. I don't have much to say about this yet, but suffice it to say, I'm keeping my eye on the situation. Like I said, I don't know if Serena is going to be redeemed, but I do think it would be interesting to see where the story goes if she does ultimately betray Gilead.

June talking to Luke on the phone was such an emotional gut-punch. That moment was just so incredibly powerful. Later, Luke listens to June's voice on a tape, as June explains that Nichole's real name is Holly, and that her father is Nick. The baby was born from love. Luke obviously has a hard time hearing that, but again, the acting is just so wonderful and complex. There are so many layers to what's happening here. I think that June will always love Luke, as she says, but how can she ask them both to wait indefinitely? Nick helped June to survive in Gilead, and she's gracious enough to hope that Luke can find a measure of peace as well. I hope one day they get to see each other again.

I feel like I'm always saying this, but small moments are always given such incredible power on this show. There's a moment when Serena calls June by her real name, and it really got to me. We also see June trying to help Commander and Mrs. Lawrence regain a measure of their connection. It's an oddly sweet and romantic little subplot, but of course June is trying to pull strings and get into Mrs. Lawrence's good graces. It's always jarring to see reminders of how the world once was, and how much people miss what they used to have.

June's walking companion, Ofmatthew, reveals to June that she's once again pregnant, and actually tells June that she's happy for her, that her baby and husband are both safe in Canada. I like that Ofmatthew is revealing herself to be less than totally brainwashed, but I also hope June doesn't throw caution to the wind and start oversharing. I like the tentative way June is forced to approach every exchange with this woman. Imagine doing what June did, only four times, for four different Commanders? It's pretty unthinkable, and no wonder Ofmatthew can't keep up the party line indefinitely. I'm excited to see what happens here.

As is always the case with this show, I feel like there's so much more I could say. But for now, I'll be signing off. This season continues to be pretty darn great!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!