June 14, 2019

Elementary: Red Light, Green Light (7x04)

This week, we had a case-of-the-week format, and also a continuation of the season's A-plot, with some delicious new complications added in.

Cons:

I feel like the new captain character is somewhat clumsily integrated into the story here. There's a moment where Sherlock and Joan pull a big stunt by gathering a terrorism task force together and accusing them of sabotaging traffic lights, and the captain is alarmed by their behavior, but not too alarmed, and then it all works out, and it just felt like a really obvious way of reminding us that there's this new guy here who isn't going to be happy with Sherlock and Joan's shenanigans. I would have rather done without this, or if they were going to do it, I'd want it to be more extreme.

I know I said this last week, but I still think that Sherlock getting to be back in New York is a little too easy. I know they're setting it up for consequences later, maybe more so for Joan than Sherlock, but it's still annoying that we were able to get back to the status quo right away.

Pros:

I liked the case of the week quite a bit. I thought it was a clever breakthrough for Sherlock to realize that the traffic lights had been tampered with. Elementary is often good at pointing out when our blind trust in systems should be challenged. My brain never would have jumped to that as a solution, and it ends up being the linchpin to solving the case. Also, it's always fun to see the torturous experiences that the hacker group Everyone puts Sherlock through. The gelatin in the sensory deprivation chamber was a great image.

Far more interesting, of course, is the continuing story with Gregson. First of all... he's awake! Yay! I felt a bit robbed that we didn't see Joan and Gregson's conversation, but I suppose it makes sense. They never had the personal fight the way that Gregson and Sherlock did. And seeing these two men reconcile really was beautiful. I think it's so important that Gregson tells Sherlock that he planned on calling him before he got shot. And Sherlock waves that away - Gregson nearly dying has certainly put things into perspective for him, and I think that's wonderful.

I like the fact that Sherlock has this emotional moment with Gregson, but it's actually Joan who continues on with the investigating. While Sherlock is busy with the main plot of the week, Joan zeroes in on the continuing mystery of Gregson getting shot, and the real truth of his shooter. Turns out, this guy is definitely involved in something bigger and sketchier, and now it looks like Joan could be in danger from gang members and/or terrorists of some sort.

I'm really intrigued by the situation with Gregson's shooter and his wife, who seems to know a bit of what's going on, but clearly doesn't condone it. Still, she's willing to put a hit out on Joan to protect her husband and kids. This is intense. Obviously the idea of Joan being in danger is really intriguing to me. I want Sherlock to find out and get all upset and protective, because that's totally my kryptonite.

Sorry if this review is a little shorter than usual - I'm on vacation! But I'm really enjoying this swan song for Elementary so far, and I'm looking forward to whatever's next.

8/10

1 comment:

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!