May 18, 2019

Grey's Anatomy: Jump into the Fog (15x25)

Oh, come on. Owen is the worst.

Cons:

I will grudgingly admit that Owen's speech to Teddy while she was in labor was very well written. But that doesn't change the fact that this whole situation is frustrating. Honestly, I could be on board with Teddy/Owen, considering that they're both selfish people and they probably deserve each other. But there are just two problems. First of all, Tom Koracick deserves better than this. He is a genuinely good person and Teddy is being incredibly inconsiderate of his feelings. And secondly, there's Amelia. Now, I will be the first to admit that I was never super enthusiastic about Owen and Amelia as a pairing, but I thought this episode was enormously disrespectful to the intensity of their feelings. Amelia shrugs off her relationship with Owen, saying that she falls in love easily and totally had a crush on Carina... okay, that's fine, I guess... but it does not track with what we've seen of their painful, angst-filled love story all these years. We're supposed to think Amelia will be fine, so that we don't have to be sad about her. But I'm not convinced.

I have a lot to say about Maggie and Jackson in this episode. But first thing's first. They're in the woods, they see that it's raining, and so they have to hike through the woods to get to their car? Where was the car parked? Because it seemed like they had all their stuff packed up, except for the tent... I just didn't understand the logistics of what was going on there. Why would they need to go on a dangerous trek through the woods because of a storm? That doesn't track at all.

Also, on a more serious character note, I think Maggie is 100% right in the argument they're having. Traditionally, Maggie has been the one to annoy me more, but in this case, I think Jackson is being a dick. I'm putting this under the "cons" section because I get the sense that we're supposed to be feeling partially angry and partially sympathetic to both of them. It's a complicated situation, and all that. But I don't feel that way at all. I feel like Maggie is right, that Jackson is being condescending, and that he can't accept her for who she is.

Pros:

I will say, that despite all of that, I'm mad worried about Jackson Avery. Sure, he's being annoying and rude and all that, but I hope he's not dead out there in the fog! Cliffhangers on this show really stress me out. I'll admit that it's very effective, though!

I absolutely love Frances. Luckily, Owen and Levi are able to help her, and they all get out of the pile-up safe and sound and make it to the hospital. Alex and Meredith manage to keep Gus alive just long enough to get the golden blood to him, and his life is saved! These scenes were properly intense and dramatic, and I'm so relieved we got a happy ending at least in this one small way. Frances was such a delightful character. I feel like I want to know everything about her and just learn more and more. Very charming. I hope that actress gets lots of work.

Nico and Levi are so sweet. Nico explains how angry and upset he feels, and how he envies Levi's ability to look on the bright side and find joy in life. Levi says he can help with that, and we see them crying together while watching My Girl, and then... Levi comes out to his mom! I loved this scene. It was so sweet and precious and pure, and Nico's reverence when he tells Levi: "you're amazing" just warmed my heart so much. Obviously Nico is going through an incredibly rough time right now, but we are seeing how good communication can work wonders in a relationship. I'm excited that we'll get to see more of them next season.

So... the elephant in the room is that Andrew has been arrested, and Meredith, as soon as she's out of the chamber with Gus, goes and confesses everything to Bailey and Catherine. Richard and Alex both also come in and confess. Eventually the whole truth of the situation is revealed, that Meredith made the original call, but that Richard and Alex were both in on it and decided not to report her. How does this resolve? Well... they're all three fired.

This is quite the dramatic shake-up! There are so many things that I love about this. First of all, Alex is freaking out about Jo, obviously, and when he realizes that Meredith is going to turn herself in to protect Andrew, he accuses her of leaving him all alone. I love how much these two love each other, and how upset Alex is at the very idea of Meredith going to prison. The fact that Alex is willing to "confess," so to speak, to protect Meredith, is really quite the sweetest thing. Their loyalty knows no bounds.

And that confession scene... damn. I loved that Bailey brought up the LVAD wire incident. That was such an iconic moment in Grey's history. But Bailey is right - this isn't the mistake of an intern, this is insurance fraud, and it's a really flippin' big deal. Bailey doesn't want to fire these people. Meredith, Alex, and Richard are all family to her. I mean, this is intense. But what choice does she have? How can she possibly react any differently and still protect her hospital? I loved Catherine's reaction here. She's just in stunned disbelief - "Oh, my God." How else is she supposed to respond to all of this? That whole scene was great.

I like that Meredith filled Alex in on what happened with Jo. In some ways, it's a little odd that Jo didn't tell him herself, but it took so much out of Jo to talk about it the first time, that I think it makes sense for Meredith to do that hard part on Jo's behalf. As the episode ends, we see Jo going in to the psychiatric ward to get help. She and Alex have a tearful goodbye, but at least Jo is getting some real help now. I like that we saw Jo help out with patients. She got to be the one to take Frances' blood and help save Gus' life, which I think was a nice little resolution to the moment where she freaked out and cried in front of Gus' mom. Her problems aren't all instantly solved, but she's on the right track now.

Meredith telling Andrew that she loves him too... that was surprisingly emotional and perfect for me. Nothing in these people's lives can go quite the right way. They're in love, but Meredith has to confess that from the other side of a glass window, because Andrew is locked away on Meredith's behalf. Obviously we're going to have to explore this complicated situation next season, and I'm all about it.

I think that's all I've got to say for this one. I guess I hope that Owen and Teddy are happy or whatever. But Tom Koracick deserved so much better than what he got, and I hope this character isn't going anywhere, because I want him to have a happy ending.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!