May 17, 2019

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Sicko/Suicide Squad (6x17/18)

Great finale! I love this show and I'm excited for what's being set up for next year. I'm just going to review the two episodes as one, even though they were really quite separate in most ways.

Cons:

I didn't like how little Rosa had to do in this finale. I was having fun getting to spend a little more time on her love life, but Jocelyn was entirely absent here. In the first episode, Terry and Rosa's plot basically revolves around Terry learning that he's going to be transferred because the Nine-Nine doesn't have the budget for his lieutenant's salary. That was a good plot thread, but I think I just wanted more for Rosa here.

Same for Amy, honestly. She felt a little shoe-horned in to the Suicide Squad plot, and didn't have a lot going on just in and of herself. Jake and Holt were really the stars of the episode here.

Pros:

But honestly? Jake and Holt being the leads of this finale is a completely good result for me. They work so brilliantly off of each other and the tension of Holt's hatred for Kelly, and for Wuntch, is so much fun to play with.

The best comedy obviously comes from Holt vs. Wuntch. All of their insults are so silly and over the top, and perfectly escalate to levels of absurdity that you wouldn't expect from Holt in particular. The idea of her being the new Commissioner, at least for a while, is such a smart one, because that enmity feels a lot more enticing and funny than the one between Holt and Kelly.

I like it when Brooklyn Nine-Nine does something to shake up the status quo, even though we all know it won't be for long. Holt working as a beat cop, with Terry being in charge of the Nine-Nine? Even if we only get one or two episodes of that, it could still be really funny and clever.

Also, what a satisfying episode for Jake. He is often the butt of the joke, but it's important to remember that he's very good at his job. We get to see him use his creativity to its full capabilities in this episode, as he cleverly manipulates his boss in order to take down the corrupt Commissioner.

The rest of this review is just going to be me listing some of my favorite jokes. One thing I really admire about this show is that the humor in it is iconic and memorable to me. I can come out of any episode remembering a lot of the specific jokes. That doesn't happen very often for me. Here are some of my favorite moments:

- The cold open, with Jake "pranking" Holt and him being so delighted by the podium moving one half inch to the left that he actually calls Kevin to tell him the hilarious story.
- Broadway Brian's terrible voice.
- Caleb the Cannibal and Jake actually being friends, and Boyle being increasingly upset about that, but then also falling for it when Caleb asks him for a hug.
- CJ punching Jake in the face and trying to run away from him, thinking he's actually being kidnapped.
- The joke about never seeing Jake and Amy kiss, which is a reference to the fandom - it's true that they haven't kissed on-screen in quite some time!
- Wuntch and Holt dancing together - the double, triple, quadruple cross!
- Jake being in the interrogation room for the final reveal, so he can't see anything going on, and has to just keep shouting things blindly in order to contribute.
- Terry's not in denial about being in denial

I could go on, but I think that about gets the point across. This was an incredibly fun finale that raised the stakes with a scary serial killer, but ended up being about Commissioner Kelly's corruption all along. I'm proud of Jake for saving the day, and I had a great time watching it all go down!

9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!