August 30, 2018

Suits: Sour Grapes (8x07)

I think I can see how they're shaping this season, and for the most part it's working okay.

Cons:

This is a small thing, but Sheila getting a "false positive" on a pregnancy test is a little unrealistic. From what I understand, false negatives sometimes happen, but false positives are almost impossible. This might have been a good opportunity to explore the sad but accurate fact that TONS of pregnancies end in miscarriage in the early stages, especially higher risk pregnancies. They often happen before the person even knows they were pregnant. Sheila could have taken a pregnancy test, been pregnant, and then lost the pregnancy right at the super early stages. For some reason the whole "false positive" thing bothered me.

Pros:

I did like Sheila and Louis talking about some tough topics. I am pretty much on Louis' side about raising the kids Jewish, although the reasons for that are a little difficult for me to pin down. I guess I just think of Judaism as being so much more important culturally and for community building, rather than it being just a question of religion. But then again, Sheila indicates pretty clearly that her family's ties to their Catholic faith are very strong and define their own culture and traditions. Maybe I just want Louis to get his way because I know that Jewish folks often get the short end of the stick? And honestly I think it's possible to blend both. Do the things that are important to both of you. I don't know that a hard line one way or the other is actually necessary here. I like that this dilemma made me stop and think. Even though I came down on Louis' "side," I also saw the complexities of the situation. Also, Louis getting a hug from his Jewish therapist was oddly moving. I'm actually really touched by their odd relationship.

Turning over to Sam and Harvey's plot, we see that Harvey has to help the asshole landlord of their building, per Donna's deal that he would provide free legal services. Samantha steps in to help, at Donna's request. Turns out, the guy is still kind of an asshole, but he actually has altruistic motivations for his current bit of semi-shady behavior. I like that Donna puts her foot down and forces Harvey to do the right thing, and I also like that she trusts Samantha to help him get there. This is what I meant when I said that I can see how they're shaping the season. Alex and Robert spend this episode together, and Harvey and Samantha do as well. Each of the name partners are building relationships with the person they are not backing for the next name partner. The more these bonds increase, the more complicated it will be when decision time comes. Of course Harvey is in Alex's corner, but he's starting to learn that Samantha deserves this too, and the the reverse is also true.

I also love that Harvey convinces his client to take a deal that doesn't make the most sense financially, or for his reputation, but it does make the most sense ethically. This isn't the Harvey Specter we met back in Season One. This is the Harvey that knows that sometimes there are more important things than money or reputation. Harvey has always understood loyalty, and that also plays a part here. I like this version of Harvey, who can still be hot-headed and inconsiderate, but who ultimately decides to listen to Donna and Samantha, and even apologizes (poorly) to them as the episode ends.

Robert gets screwed over at his vineyard, and he believes it's a race problem. He brings Alex in on it, but they later find out that the community of vintners in the area are resentful of him for buying out the previous owner and waving all his big corporate riches around. It's not because he's black, it's because he's a part of the 1%. Alex and Donna basically tag-team Robert and help him to do the right thing, which I thought was lovely.

This is another plot thread that I admired because it made me see all sides of the situation. I can't exactly blame Robert for assuming the white vintners around him were being racist. It's not a crazy theory, and Alex trusts that Robert is probably right. In fact, even as the truth of the situation comes to light, Robert and Alex both still acknowledge that Robert's race might be a factor in the animosity that he is facing. You can't remove that element from the situation. But Robert can also see things from the perspective of his vintner neighbors. He knows what it is to be part of an insular, distrustful community. If some bigwig had come in and started messing with his community when he was growing up, he would not have taken kindly to that. And now he is that bigwig, and he stepped on some toes in a big way.

Of course, we see the reasons behind Robert's actions - he wanted to get into the wine business because it makes him think of his sister, who passed away. It's a way to keep himself close to her. He was thinking of his sister when he decided to buy out the previous owner of this land, and he didn't stop to think about the family that had worked that land for so long. Alex helps him to see that, and so does Donna. I was a little bit hesitant about this whole Donna and Robert budding friendship thing, but I'm actually seeing echos of Donna and Jessica's relationship here, and I like it. They don't need to spend a lot of time together for Robert to see Donna's value, and vice versa. They can trust each other to be manipulative in just the right way. The nickname thing is kind of cute too.

There you have it. I'm glad Robert is maintaining such a big presence in the season, even though he's not in every episode. The Harvey and Alex vs. Robert and Sam situation is getting more and more intriguing by the minute, even if I think changing the name of this firm again is just about the stupidest thing that Pearson Hardman, Pearson Specter Litt, Specter Litt, Zane Specter Litt could do at this point. Brand consistency is important, people!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!