August 09, 2018

Suits: Revenue Per Square Foot (8x04)

Very little Mike content this week. I'm still hunting rigorously for any little morsel I can find.

Cons:

Here's the thing about Louis getting mugged: it could have been a really interesting story, but I feel like it didn't quite... land. There was some great acting, and some genuinely impacting moments between the characters, but it still felt really contrived. I guess part of it could be that Louis has never exactly been my number one favorite character, so seeing him in distress didn't give me the angst fodder that I wanted. I also felt like it was odd that we didn't see Louis talking to Shelia or his therapist about what happened. Maybe that will come in later weeks? Also, Gretchen had criminally little to do this week. She knew what happened to Louis before anyone else, but we never saw anybody try to talk to her or see the resolution of her role in events. I want Gretchen to feel like a bigger part of the story.

Pros:

There were some good moments to come out of this whole mugging thing, though. Obviously, the best one is Harvey and Louis' little friendship moment. These two have often butted heads, but it's sweet to see that when push comes to shove, Harvey will drop everything and be compassionate towards one of his oldest friends. I also like that Samantha knew something weird was going on, and instead of tattling on Louis to Robert, she went to Harvey because she understood that a compassionate solution was probably needed. Louis and Sam's scene at the end, where she is teaching him some basic self-defense, was a surprisingly delightful moment.

Robert and Louis are two human beings pretty much designed to butt heads, so I liked seeing how this dramatic moment in Louis' life played out between them. It was hilarious when Robert commented that Louis shouldn't have hidden this from him - after all, he had no qualms about discussing his sex life with Sheila in a casual phone call... Louis has to admit that this is a good point. In some ways I think Louis not wanting to tell anybody is unrealistic, because he's always been such a complainer. But I also think that when something traumatic like that happens, your pride and confidence take a real hit. Louis is constantly feeling like an afterthought, so I can understand why he wouldn't want to look vulnerable in front of Robert.

Finally, you've got the Kobayashi Maru plot thread. I've got to start by saying sorry Alex, I'm definitely with Harvey on this one. Classic Star Trek is some of the finest television ever made. But anyway. Basically, this plot thread involves Harvey trying to help Alex get Robert's respect, so that later they can make a bid for him being the next name partner. In the process, they decide to double-cross a potential client, which Robert does not take kindly to. Suddenly, Alex has a problem: Robert insists that Alex sign the original client, while Harvey insists they sign the new one. Donna suggests that the best way to win the respect of both men is to find a way to beat the no-win scenario. So, he does, signing a person who was about to be screwed over by his employer, and helping him go into business for himself. He asserts himself to Robert and Harvey, and gets their grudging respect. Of course, we then learn that Donna was orchestrating things behind the scenes...

I find Alex a little bit bland sometimes, but I think he's at his best when he and Harvey can show some of their camaraderie. Nothing is going to replace Mike for me, but I do like seeing Harvey engage in a little bit of banter. It was also nice to see Alex standing up for himself and finding creative solutions. Harvey and Robert don't need a yes man. In fact, neither of them would even want a yes man. Harvey had Mike for a right hand, and Robert has Sam. They clearly like assertive people who go after what they want. Also, this is the kind of orchestration that I love from Donna. She basically leverages Harvey, Robert, and Alex right into position so they can all realize where they stand. It's subtle, it makes sense, and it showcases why Donna is good at what she does.

The Mike and Harvey corner is pretty empty this week, but there was a moment early on when Donna suggests that they take on more pro bono cases, after what happened with the cleaning lady. Harvey admits to missing Mike, but says that doesn't mean he's turning in to Mike. Donna runs with the idea, though, apparently giving a pro bono client to Katrina. I like the idea of Donna trying to find someone to be the conscience of the firm again. Mike was the beating heart of that place, and I think Donna realizes that better than most.

Okay. That's all I've got. This season isn't my favorite thing in the world, since the whole draw of the show for me is now gone. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate some quality aspects!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really appreciate hearing what you think!